Recommendations on Property Lawyer in Sydney (preferably located in the CBD)

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Ariel636, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ariel636

Ariel636 Member

Hello everyone

I'm in need of a lawyer specializing in property law based in Sydney (preferably based in the CBD).
    Consultation is needed in regards to a buyers agents business startup.
    While I could just randomly google a property lawyer and see what comes up, I'd like to know if anyone in the community has had experience with a property lawyer that they could recommend.

Cheers,
    Ariel

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion, but why don't you see if you can chat with a few established buyers agents initially, to bounce some ideas off them? That way you might be better prepared with the right questions for your property lawyer appointment?

Chilliblue and Jacque like this.
  3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Chilliblue likes this.
  4. Ariel636

Ariel636 Member

Thanks for the suggestion Propertunity. We have already consulted with a few BA's in our network (mostly based interstate) and we have our questions ready. Unfortunately our network currently does not have a property lawyer for recommendation in Sydney CBD.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I am a Sydney CBD based lawyer, but I only advise on structuring and estate planning and asset protection - not property, but how to own property and how to structure structures.

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't get it - why a property lawyer for BA business startup advice?

7. Ariel636

Ariel636 Member

Maybe I've used the term 'startup' incorrectly or I'm asking the wrong question or for the wrong lawyer.
    Firstly, we are already in operation but we are young. Secondly, we have a few scenarios in question that we feel we need clarification on from a legal standpoint.

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

If you like, you can post the question or the type of question here and maybe some of the lawyers here can give you better idea of what sort of lawyer you might need.

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't have thought a property lawyer could do much for you.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

as per @thatbum - a property lawyer will advise on property matters however a contract or commercial lawyer may be more appropriate. without the question, it is a bit hard to judge. (I do have a cbd lawyer if necessary who is very active in major strata transactions on the vendor side).

10. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

If you are happy to ask questions through here I can answer or if I can't answer I can get one of my guys in the area to answer.

ps. I will have a property lawyer based in Castlereagh St after the 17th August.

Jacque likes this.
  11. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I used a partner at Hicksons about 8 years ago. I'll try to think of his name.

12. Ariel636

Ariel636 Member

Hello everyone

Thank you all for the input. I realised as the feedback received tended to question my own initial question, I went back to the team and asked the boss to clarify who I should be looking for. As @Scott No Mates has indicated, a commercial lawyer with real estate knowledge is what we needed (I blame the boss for the miscommunication). We have managed to track down an old associate who has advised us on such matters in the past so we are all good. Thanks again.