Recommendation on building inspector during construction?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Zammy, 9th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    My house is being constructed in the box hill region NSW.
    We are at the slab completed stage and framing should happen soon (hopefully).
    The builder is not very reputed (bought H&L) and I have doubts about their quality which is just my gut feeling as they are not well known.

So, someone suggested doing my own independent building inspection, which seems expensive. (I know to compare to the cost of the house it's not). However, I do not want to spend on it if it's not absolutely necessary.
    1. So, is it worth doing it?
    2. If so, what stage would you target? All stages vs Slab/Framing only?
    3. Any build inspector recommendations around Box Hill NSW?

Thank you.

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Why did you build with them then?
    It seems a bit late to be thinking about this and is one sure way to annoy the hell out of your builder.
    If you've financed the build the bank will be sending their own person out to inspect at certain stages.
    Is this the first time you've built a house?

3. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response.
    Well, it was H&L, so no other option.
    Why would it annoy the builder if I want to employ my own building inspector? Am I not allowed to inspect?
    Yes, the build is financed. Is the bank inspection as reliable as the building inspector inspection?
    Yes, first time, hence the worry I suppose.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Because you're basically telling the builder "I reckon you're dodgy so I'm employing my own building inspector to keep an eye on you"
    You might even find the builder doesn't have to let them on site during construction anyway, legally.
    Builders have their own supervisors that are there for quality control, you should also have Builders Warranty for a certain period once construction is complete.
    Hypothetically what would happen if your Building Inspector says something wasn't done correctly but the builder's supervisor can prove it has been built to code/standard?

Basically, maybe not as thorough as an independent inspector (they have to justify their fee somehow) but the lender doesn't want sub-par property as security either.

Given it was a H&L package, has that same builder built any other properties in the same estate/area that you can see? Might help if you can see how their houses look once finished/talk to owners.

Zammy likes this.
  5. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

Yes, they have. Around 100 properties.
    Talking to the owner sounds like a good idea.
    Thank you for your input.