Recommend me a motivation/peace course/technique/activity?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by TMNT, 22nd Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

ok, ive recently had a increasing amount of Prop Investment issues, im generally resilliant and mentally tough,

recently, a few of my colleagues are starting to **** me off, in a nutshell its too much attitude considering how inexperienced or crap they are, unfortuantely management wont do antyhing and while they turn a blind eye and indirectly encourage it,

imagine a 19 yr old straight out of high school with no experience in the field and first job, 3 months in telling the manager of 20 yrs + experience what to do , or how to do something (management wise) and telling him off. while the manager just sits there and either listens and doesnt say anything.

anyway, i feel my mindset is becomign toxic, and I dont like what im becoming. Im actually getting tired from being negative/angry/frustrated . my current job is enjoyable as a whole but its not my longterm goal. I dont need this job, addmittedly th extra hours ive been taking are more to take my mind off things,

my life at the moment is gym, work, 6 days per week, and kids, work 6 days per week the other week
    anyway, im looking for something that can essentailly reset my mind,
    I am not looking to become complaceant , Iwant to become more motivated.

Not interested in:
    - alcohol, I feel good for 2 hours and then like crap for 2 days
    - nothing chemical, doesnt interest me
    - motivational courses
    - join a gym (I already work out 3 times per week at a gym)
    - no religios stuff
    - plastic surgery

What might be an option for me
    - meditation
    - take 2-3 weeks off work and focus on fixing my problems and resetting
    - a 2 week holiday alone to a tropical paradise
    - a new toy (ill get bored quickly)
    - 2 week holiday with partner
    - psychiatrist
    - some kind of boot camp
    - buy a punching bag and punch the crap out of it

also must be cheap/free (long term) or can cost if its short term (eg holiday), easily accessible and not disrupt my lifestyle greatly

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2016
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Have you considered ricin? Worked well on breaking bad :D

geoffw likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bit of burn out.

Holiday best bet, 7-10 days away. You mention kids, so if you can get them minded suggest you get away with your partner. If not, family getaway for a week may help.
    Marg

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Listen to an Eckhardt Tolle audiobook - the power of now is a good start. It's cheap, accessible right now (assuming you have a smart phone).

Cheers

Jamie

Property Twins and Sackie like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Shift in philosophical approach.

It's free, forever lasting and can be implemented almost immediately.

At one of my ex full time jobs many of the (professional) staff would talk nonsense on most days. Just pure rubbish, bickering, bitching etc ctc . I didn't let any of it in. The place could be falling down and people get into fist fights (actually happened once the cat fight) and I would be at my computer without so much as a head turn, not bothering who is challenging who and what the new person said to who etc, just keeping focused reminding myself its just cash flow to invest and getting me closer towards my dreams. There will always be toxic people around you when you cant control your work environment. What worked for me was putting up so many barriers that at the end of the day, it was like I was the only person in a beautifully silent room, when in reality there were 15-20 other ppl around all yappying at each other mostly nonsense.

Just what worked for me. And staff actually respected me for being the one who 'never gets involved' and always left me out of their dramas. Anyway my 2 cents.

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2016
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

You could do what I did in similar shoes and take up Karate.

Seriously, it's nice to have something else entirely to think about, something that cannot be easily conquered, yet has interim goals to work towards.

Phase2 likes this.
  7. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Short holiday
    Then taking up new skill like totally random and different - learning Japanese or painting
    That's what I plan to do soon anyway

8. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

As someone with around $1.9m in equity you have many choices. Just being aware of that should have reset your brain. Pack in the job and maybe go travelling with the family if you can. There's a whole world outside your office :)

Angel and TMNT like this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

TMNT and Bran like this.
  11. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Boxing is pretty awesome, I took it up 2 months ago and really enjoying my 2 sessions a week.

Phase2 and TMNT like this.
  12. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Was going to recommend the same. It helped me a lot at 21 during the final year at university

Jamie Moore likes this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Just had a bit of this several weeks ago (spiraling into negativity). I started watching TED and whatever motivational speaker I can find in YouTube - it helped as it breaks the negative voices.
    If you can go for a holiday without worrying about stuff, than that might work too

Property Twins likes this.
  14. JenJen

JenJen Well-Known Member

Hi TMNT
    What about a holiday on Magnetic Island? Weather is consistently perfect. It would definitely re-calibrate your mindset and rejuvenate your soul!
    Cheers
    Jen

15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

haha no chemicals pleasE!!!!!

quite possibly burn out

if multiple property chatters recommend it , it must be good, , gonna look at it! :)

dunno how old you ar ebut thats a very mature approach, I am doing that with one of hte managers who is a complete ******, think alpha male but add it narccissit, arrogant and patholigcal liar into the mix, now he doesnt bother me as much and I get on with my job, just as I had got over him, now all the new kids coming in and thinking they run the world, which is quite normal, but usual competenet mangement put them in their place, but not at my workplace, so its a bit like a zoo at the moment

a stress relieving sport is an option!!!

a holiday is deifnitely a option, ive already gone twice this year, once with a friend, once with the kids, so I cant complain!!!!

ellejay and Sackie like this.
  16. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I'd second the karate option. You could also take up a kick-boxing class if you want to let off steam on a bag. I did goju-ryu and some kick-boxing for a while (never went past white-belt), and it was the perfect circuit breaker for me.

If you just wanted to do one thing, look for a kyokushin karate class. I think it's the only form of full-contact karate in Australia.

17. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

The dude is incredible - one of a kind. A lot of what he says makes sense - and his voice is sooooo calming. I listen to the audio version when drifting off at night - just make sure you set a timer otherwise you'l have Eckhardt preaching the benefits of the "now" for 7 hours!

Cheers

Jamie

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

bob shovel likes this.
  19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Vipassana 10 day retreat - non religious. Free / donation only.
    Sit a course then go and serve on the next course. Service is better than money.
    Gotta have true grit to get through - you can do it.
    You won't know yourself - uh, hang on ......

willair likes this.
  20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

As above, plus get yourself a full Thai massage, not one of those fluffy "relaxation" massages with the lavender oil and hot stones. A 4 foot ten inch lady jumping on and pounding at your muscles will make you feel like a new man.

willair and EN710 like this.