Reckon Personal Plus 2019

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Simon Hampel, 30th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. big_ben02

big_ben02 Well-Known Member

If you're a client of an accounting firm, you can access a non-GST cashbook for $10 a month (its not available to the public) Cashbook & Ledger | Xero

But i am more likely to go for a standard plan which is $50 per month less a discount (25 to 30%) that Platinum Xero partners access. The reason for going for the more expensive plan is because i would like to use the functionality of using creditors and attaching receipts to transactions for record keeping. I realise you can attach receipts in Reckon personal plus, but it is a bit more clunky.

The one downside is that is that Xero doesn't do bank feeds from personal credit cards or home loans so I would have to manually import them or find a credit card that does have automatic feeds.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

We provide clients with a non retail accounting product. Sage Accounting. Its $10 a month and includes full ledger functions and basic payroll for $10. Bank feeds include any account available in your online banking. I just assisted a client this am to link a personal card which is all business use. The sole catch is you must link transactional accounts and cards seperately. Loan accounts cant be linked in almost all software.

The software may also allow imported transactions by downloading a file in online banking. Pretty rare if it doesnt.

3. Coolcup

Coolcup Active Member

You can use Quicken in Australia too if you are happy to do manual transaction entry. It's great.

4. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

I am currently using Reckon Personal Plus 2020. I use it to manage share portfolios and have done for many years. Every year when I upgrade I promise myself I will look into moving to something else before the next renewal but never seem to get around to it.

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Got an email from Reckon yesterday promoting their new Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2021 product.

Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2021 is now available. This release includes the legislative updates you need to help ensure you're compliant with the ATO and more:
    • Tax and ATO compliance update. Tax line items and superannuation summary updated with the 2021 ATO Tax Pack to forecast your tax liability or refund for the 2020 / 21 financial year.
    • 12 months of share price downloads. Every time you upgrade you get 12 months of share price downloads - so you can understand exactly how your stocks are performing and tweak your investment strategy.
    Given they are still charging $180 per year - I won't be upgrading - I have no intention of ever giving Reckon any more of my money.

I successfully converted my old PC installation to a virtual machine that I can boot on my new PC, so until I can come up with an alternative, I can still boot my old PC and access my Reckon Accounts PP2015.

6. Sharon Kelly

Sharon Kelly New Member

Hi Simon

My husband and myself use Reckon Personal Plus 2015 as well and just love it. We upgraded back in 2015 from a version that was around 7 years old. We found nothing to be different. I called Reckon a couple of days back and they do not support the Personal Plus any more and have no one that knows anything about it and told me to go to the community formum if I had any queries as I was having problems with lodging on laterly and thought maybe the file was just getting too big as we do shares, investment properties, SMSF, managed funds etc etc on it. So it sounds like it is once again not worth upgrading as you are not getting anything for your money. We have not been able to find anything else out there on the market that matches the capabilities of this one and I use quite afew different accounting packages in my job. So looks like we will continue using it until it blows up, lol.

7. structurelover

structurelover Well-Known Member

Alternatively @Simon Hampel you can try Frollo.

The upside is it uses open banking.
    I export as CSV (new feature) into my excel spreadsheet.
    For share prices, excel updates them for me.

Pretty healthy and sustainable way to manage these. Open banking will only improve from this point on, hopefully there will be a software that is able to link personal, super, investments, loans all in 1.

8. ecco

ecco New Member

Hi I've been reading this page. I've been using Quicken Personal Plus 2006 for 17 years now. Still works on my mac via parallels, (which I hate paying but have to do so to run Quicken - am running it on Windows xp!!).

I'm thinking about getting the Reckon Personal Plus for my son to use to track his finances. I've looked extensively for an alternative but there is nothing out there as good as Quicken, including the likes of Xero, YNAB, Pocketsmith (way too many mouse clicks to get anything done on xero plus the reports are not great compared to Quicken).

I just read that Reckon doesn't offer support for personal plus, is this correct?
    Also has anyone tried Quicken US version with manual bank file downloads? Does this work??!

I'll probably just buy him the subscription to Reckon Personal Plus. It's still a brilliant program for tracking finances including FX and shares as well.