Recession? What recession?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by James Bond, 6th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

If the media are to be believed, we have a situation where shedloads of people are unemployed or underemployed, companies are being paid to hibernate and retain staff during hibernation, the economy in general is stuffed.

So why can't I get a tradie to build a new fence?

I've called 5 companies. 3 have never called back. 1 has called back, said he'd come round and never come round. 1 has come round and given a quote which I have accepted, and now I can't get him back to do the work. It's a 43 metre boundary fence replacement in SE Melbourne.

If I was an economist just arrived from Mars with no knowledge of the covid19 situation, I'd say this was a symptom of a booming economy, where everyone had so much work they could pick and choose jobs and they didn't care whether they got them or not.

HUGH72, iloveqld and Perthguy like this.
  2. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Fencing - and a lot of trades - is super competitive in SE Melb. Most have a waiting list of a few weeks and many would probably be keen to get through their current workload before being shut down completely.

3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Fencing contractors are the worst to get quotes from IMO.

If you get stuck and need more options let me know and I can probably send you a couple that might not be as difficult ;)

The Y-man and craigc like this.
  4. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Do you like colorbond? DIY, it's a doddle.

5. James Bond

Yes I've done the front fence DIY myself in colourbond but I can't be arsed with the boundary fence and I'd rather the fencer be chasing the neighbour for money than me.

6. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

My sister in law's husband recently engaged a guy on Airtasker to build a Colorbond fence and gate. $700 later, here's the result!
    IMG_20200331_100347.jpg IMG_20200331_100326.jpg IMG_20200331_100256.jpg IMG_20200331_100219.jpg IMG_20200331_100122.jpg
    Beauty!

wilso8948, Redwing and HUGH72 like this.
  7. James Bond

Ooops. My front fence was 17m long and cost $1200 for the materials alone so $700 ain't gonna get you much!

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

9. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

spludgey likes this.
  10. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

My mate had the same issue in WSyd trying to get a quote for a fence, its really strange...

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Fencing isnt exactly a highly sophistcated workforce. Its one man contractor and labour. The social distancing rules can make it harder to get quotes. Probably the thing keeping many going is the pub and tab are closed.

Stratco etc and a large contracting company will have subbies on hand to feed the work out. eg NSW = Dunn & Farrugia.