Open Recent Posts versus New Posts

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by wombat777, 16th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Recent Posts versus New Posts - how do you prefer to browse?

1. Recent Posts

2. New Posts

3. I deep-dive into forums and then sub forums and never surface for air

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Figured this thread would create some contentious debate.

2. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I just click on new posts and read new threads that take my fancy or if someone has posted in an old thread it depends on who made the post as to whether I'll open it up to read it :D

wylie and Gockie like this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

i would click both recent and new.

4. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

On mobile, recent post is in the prime top left position and I go for it first.
    You can try switching them around for a short term test and see if there's any differences in clicks.

It's human nature to click the top left - hence why most mobile pages have the nagivation dropdown in this spot.

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There is an experiment going on over on the XenForo v2 demo forums where they are making the forum home page the "New posts" search (even for guests!) and you have to click a link to show the forums list.

There is a lot of debate about whether this is a good idea with some fairly strong opinions in both camps.

Personally, I think it should be up to the end user to decide - a preference setting they can change. This poll will most likely back up that position - I expect to see a fairly even spread between the various options.

It's still a work in progress and the developers have stated it won't be the default setting (ie will be optional for each site to choose how they want to do it) ... so we'll see what they end up with.

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

...:oops: what is the difference between the two?

Is it that new posts excludes ones that the user has posted on?
    and recent shows all most recent postings??

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Not quite.

New Posts excludes threads that the user has read. Posting in a thread implies you have read it - but only until someone else posts a reply - at which time it becomes "new" for you again until you read it once more.

Recent posts shows all threads that have had any new posts made in them in the last 24 hours, regardless of whether you have read them or not.

Another thing they are experimenting with in XF2 is having these two combined into a single "New Posts" search with a filter allowing you to exclude read threads (to work like the current New Posts does), and you remove the filter to show all new threads (to work like the current Recent Posts does).

They then have the flexibility to add other types of filters to the search results - such as "only watched threads", "only threads I've posted in", or "only unanswered threads" - which adds a lot of new functionality we didn't have before:

upload_2017-2-17_9-59-10.png

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

ahhh ok

my user feedback is that my default button is "recent posts" to check over everything new. then second is the "watched threads" to check what i've commented on plus threads im following.

If i've participated they become "watched" and i'm happy to glance over everything with "recent posts" rather than unread threads/new posts