Reasonable time to secure new tenants

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ghoti, 7th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. urbanista

urbanista Member

Wouldn't have made any difference to us. We moved out anyway.

2. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Risky for Tenant I agree, but it is the tenant that created the situation and I agree land lord should not be penalised for it.

QUOTE="urbanista, post: 245333, member: 5169"]We moved out and simply stopped paying rent. It's amazing how quickly a new tenant is found after you stop paying. In our case we paid four weeks rent and nothing. After we stopped paying, the tenant moved in after 10 days. We reimbursed all costs as per contract , ie rent , break fee, and advertisement. The law says that tenant is liable to pay but it doesn't say when. It is perfectly legal to stop paying and reimburse the landlord after a new tenant is found[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what solicitor advised. I tried to be reasonable so intend paying rent until end July and then stopping...but better get the property condition report signed off first!!

I think 2 months rent (through till end July) is reasonable given I told agent in March we'd be vacating end of May. Will pay the balance once a tenant is found.

3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I've had more than a handful do that (stop paying rent) and then the owner gets absolutely nothing except the rent - unless it's a good tenant that does pay, but a lot don't.

Tenants Union actually advises tenants to stop paying so the landlord will issue a notice to vacate. Therefore no break lease fees applicable. Sends me nuts.

fullylucky likes this.
  4. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

That's very clever...

Thanks for your time explaining everything.