Reasonable time delay by tenant for repairs.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by dmb1978, 28th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Our tenants messed around with the laundry sink to fit their washer. Then we have a huge laundry leak which cost us $550+ in emergency carpet cleaning. Tenant then complains that the flat that they Airbnb has a leak in the kitchen. Plumber comes out and gives quote over a month ago and was authorised to fix the whole lot.

After chasing up with the PM i get told that the plumber has only just attended because of of tenant access issues.

Is a month plus a reasonable delay by a tenant. Please note that in this time they have continued to have airbnb customers at the property also.

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It can't have been much of a leak in the kitchen. Fixed now? Move on, I reckon.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

So they rent from you and they airbnb it ?
    And damaged your property, causing costs...so what did you charge them for that ? $550+ cleaning ?

Interesting from an insurance point of view. If you had a EBM policy I'm not even sure if its covered. Yours is a tenancy agreement BUT they dont occupy the property instead the occupant is a short term let that you dont manage. So you may even be uninsured for all damage or even loss of the property. Very unorthodox.

4. dmb1978

The one that caused $550 worth of emergency carpet cleaning was pretty big and it still isn't resolved - they have to return for more work. I thought a month for repair access was unreasonable when they called out emergency after hours carpet clean but then allowed the problem(or risk of happening again) to go on for a mon
    We are covered by Terri Scheer. They are happy to insure it as the main tenant is still responsible for all the damage done by any airbnb guests. They consider it to be the same as if anyone came to their property. I am still waiting for the plumbers report to see what causesd the leak as there are other plumbing issues but at this stage we are stuck paying all the bills for this one.

Kind of over it with this tenant. We will not be renewing the lease with the Airbnb provision. It was a good idea at the time to secure a high paying tenant but I feel the negatives have outweighed the positives. Lessons learnt. This house will be our PPOR and needs a huge renovation anyway when we eventually live in it.

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Nope.

Especially if it involves a leak of some sort.

Do they sublet your property via airbnb?

Cheers

Jamie

6. dmb1978

It is written into the lease so they sought permission but insurance said they will deal it as a normal lease and the tenant is still responsible for any damage.

The tenant has sought her own insurance to cover her.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

But your tenant didnt cause any damage. It seems like you took a lease that seemed high yield but its just them playing high risk and you cover it. I would smack them with the damage for the plumbing.

dmb1978 likes this.
  8. dmb1978

Sorry Jamie, just read your post properly. Yes they live in the house but airbnb the downstairs flat.

Last edited: 28th Apr, 2017
  9. dmb1978

Sorry, probably wasn't too clear. They live in the house as tenants and airbnb a downstairs flat that is part of the lease. Insurance stated they are dealing with it as the tenant being responsible and not as a sublet. There are plumbing issues house wide not just in the airbnb kitchen. Just not happy with them stalling plumber access to the property. I suspect it may have clashed with them having airbnb guests or something.

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You get the PM to give notice then go there with them if need be, many trades will walk away too easily as they have other things to do as well.

If they damaged sink etc, I would give them the bill.

dmb1978 likes this.