VIC Real life capital growth comparisons over 30 years

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Orion, 3rd Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Hi all. I was doing a few real life capital growth comparisons to see how 'far superior' the growth of a blue chip like Carlton would be over an 'end of the train' line suburb like Belgrave.

Once again, no real difference in performance over approx. 30 years. Yes, there was a reno, but don't forget the Belgrave house would have had higher rental yield the entire period.

Example 1 - 91 Kaola St, Belgrave, Vic
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property/91-kaola-st-belgrave-vic-3160
    7.76% growth over 32 years (1986 to 2017)
    Note - property has been reno'd

Example 2 - 10 Charles Street, Carlton, Vic
    https://www.realestate.com.au/prope...ep-pdp|sold-pdp:property-history-cta#timeline
    7.47% growth over 27 years (1991 to 2018)

Does anyone have any similar data to share?

2. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

What happened between 86 & 91 for Melbourne was there a boom in that period which has helped propped it up (as you are not comparing both 30 years)... I understand it is difficult to find with that far historic data.

From - https://www.mutilatethemortgage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Median-vs-Wage.jpg

upload_2018-8-3_10-58-16.png

So technically it boomed and dropped off in those couple of years, where as the 91 property was bought in a declining market. So the sample provided is not an accurate way to use as an example.

It would appear there was a boom

RE: more yield - yes more yield for Belgrave when it started however eventually the $$$ becomes more for the growth

Orion likes this.
  5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

OK sure (I agree). I'll hunt for some more examples.

Obviously we also have periods where inner vs outer are doing different things - i.e. like right now, inner is flat/decline, outer is still booming.

6. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

It is pretty hard to compare since two different suburbs inner vs outer will boom and burst at different times. There may be a couple of years between so even if you compare them for the same period (e.g. 1988-2018), it is still not accurate.

7. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I think once a suburb is 'blue chip' it probably wont outperform in terms of capital growth. Its more about finding the next area to become desirable to get the really good growth
    I would say that certain bayside suburbs which wernt always that highly regarded - sandringham,hampton, highett, beaumaris , black rock would have growth figures approximately double what you have found in belgrave / carlton for the last 30 odd years.

house I grew up in was 75k in 1983 and sold for 1.24 in 2014 - PRE BOOM and would sell easily for 1.7 -1.9
    so what's the 30 odd year growth on that? (had a couple o f beers so no compounding calculations for me tonight...)

Interestingly though its probably only gone up 40% in the last boom where as many rough outer suburbs have gone up 100%
    get my drift?

8. au contraire

au contraire Well-Known Member

I don’t think you can fairly compare a “lifestyle area” growth rate during this boom with classic “blue chip” (which I agree has dropped off in growth) by plucking examples out of the air.

Plenty of homes in camberwell, hawthorn, glen iris and even ashburton (which was known for haveing a substantial housing commission area not so long ago) have increased over 200% over the period you are referring to. But those same properties were at at a similar price point to a Carlton townhouse at the time. ‍♀️

Honestly if you want to take a historical view, in hindsight you would be better off buying a few hectares in rockbank/pakenham/cranbourne etc than a toorak mansion...