Reading easements on Sewer diagram

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by HouseData, 12th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HouseData

HouseData Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I just bought this property the diagram sewer as attached.

I understand the main sewer line running at the back yard. But I didn't realised there are some diagonal lines on the right back corner as well after I bought it at auction :(

The agent told me that I cann't build any thing on that corner, but currently they have an in ground swimming pool at the back yard and I think the pool must be sitting on top of that corner.

But does anyone know what it is and what are the restrictions?

Also, what is the little square between the main house and the sewer line? Is it a boundary trap (see the next image for legends)

With main sewer line, how close can you build next to the sewer line?

Many thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

You cannot tell from that diagram.

It might be, or it could be a garden shed.

You need to stay out of the "zone of influence". This will depend on the depth of the sewer line.

Sounds like you'll need to pay a visit to the local council to ask some questions. (and I suppose there is no point telling you that you should have done so before the auction) ;)

3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

No wonder you created a secondary account to ask this question! ;)

It really depends on what type of easement it is. Different easements allow you to do different things.
    What were your plans for it?

You might also be able to build over the top as long as you concrete encase the sewerage.

4. HouseData

Thanks all for your comments. I will check with the council regarding building next to the main sewer line. I understand we can build over the top of it with concrete encase.

I will come back to the house to check what the little square is.

Hi spludgey, what did you mean by "No wonder you created a secondary account to ask this question! ;)"?

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Agent doesn't know what he's talking about.

Call Sydney water, council will be no help.

The diagonal area is likely to be area that cannot be sewered due to the lay of the land... But this is the plumbers sketch many moons ago. go to the dial before you dig website and get proper Sydney water plans and see if it has shading or not. I'd take a guess and say the yard slopes down to that corner ;)

The square may have been an outhouse back in the day. I assume there is nothing there today

6. bob shovel

Also you have two junctions off the main by the looks, potentially save you connecting to the main if needed for your future plans.
    _20151012_223556.JPG

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Hand drawn hatching means zip. Probably drawn on later but doesn't relate to the sewer diagram.

It may indicate that the builder has filled the land in this corner or that someone ran out of doodle pads whilst on the phone.

@bob shovel - probably only one junction is usable as the house is already connected to the other one.

Propertunity likes this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Skeptical eh, who is the suspect?

9. bob shovel

Both connections are available for use, there may be a few involved for 2 services being in use though. Depends on future plans

If the plumber has drawn it correctly the hatch will be on the syd water plans to. It is found on syd water drawings

10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

That rear square could also be an outdoor toilet (or ex toilet if demolished)

11. HouseData

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I had a look at the house again, the little square is indeed an old external construction (a BBQ area).

Even though the sewer line is running through the back yard, it does not look too bad. If I ever decide to build a new house, it'll be 2 storey and the nearly 2/3 front part of the land is enough.