re: Contemplating Uber, Is it worth it now?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by RJS, 16th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Autonomous cars will ultimately kill this but it is a a few years away and will be geography dependent. Despite their marketing, Uber (and Tesla) are the least advanced and way behind the serious players with autonomous cars (GM, Waymo / Google / Alphabet, Ford etc)

2. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

For pocket money its not too bad
    make around $25-30 per hour after all expenses (from starting at home to finish at home)
    flexible working hours (i literally just do it when im bored with nothing else to do)
    As a part time driver (do it couple of hours a week for a couple of months - pay for a holiday or 2) tax is pretty minimal (I can use cents per km rule which is extremely generous considering actual expenses)

3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Also depends where you live. If you live near city or busy area great. So you make. Money as soon as you leave home.

I think most. UBER amature drivers dont appreciate thr depreciation of 700kms per weekend does to. A. Car.

Ita great also if you have an average car. Like a 10k Toyota Camry or Corolla.
    Cheap parts good on fuel.

The. Way i see and speaking from experience you get Alot more. Working a night shift for Toll or Australia post as a forklift driver.

Also not risking your car and demerit points.
    Super and tax handling buyer emploer

UBER is a tough gig for drivers.

4. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

You will also pick up a lot of young louts, drunks , vomitors, weirdos , druggies, smellies, and you will get people wanting to argue etc and wrecking your car

5. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think it's getting to the point that people will book and Uber for trips a taxi wouldn't bother with.

I was working at a recent concert and waiting for hubby to pick me up after my shift finished ... two city "princess" had gone to the wrong gate expecting entry - couldn't be bothered walking 200m around to the correct gate so rang an Uber. Seriously! Bet the guy that went out of his way to pick them up was not happy