Rate the Guru

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by MTR, 20th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on what He has to say on Australian property? Always interested.

I thought Steve was currently in US for 18 months, he is currently still playing in the market
    Perhaps back just for this event. ?
    Please someone ask him at the event what he thinks of USA market? thanks

Last edited: 22nd May, 2017
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't know where Steve is but apparently he will be in Sydney from 15 - 17 September for the 2017 Millionaire Mega Conference. Free tickets to the event end in 20 hours! Hurry or you will miss out!!!! ;)

MTR likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I don't go to seminars very often, but I do like to hear what he has to say, he seems to get lots of things right. Perhaps he also gets things wrong? don't know?? but he certainly made money regionals Australia when booming, then he went to NZ and repeated this a made a fortune, then he went to US and still playing here and made a fortune.
    He also does not buy for anyone which I think is good, leaves it up to investors to work it out, provides the tools I guess

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

3 days would be a bit of a long haul for me.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes definately

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Update: the colleague who I was going to go with now says he's unlikely to go now because his time is uncertain. If he's not committed, Im not planning to go.

7. The Squishlet's Mum

The Squishlet's Mum New Member

how much was it?

8. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Margaret Lomas - her books are ok but she makes more $$ from other sources.

Terry Ryder - smart guy, worked out there's more cashflow being a BA than investing in RE. Though I won't be following any of his recs.

Michael Yardney - never a bad time to buy, as long as you buy from him. RE? Clueless.

Steve McKnight - I liked his book 0-130 but no need to pay thousand just to hear him say it.

Nathan Birch - I applaud his can do attitude, but not some of his way of doing those things. He also tends to exagerate values & income while minimising expenses. And not to forget the BS line of RE "deals that never reach the market".

Bernard Salt - I prefer pink himalayan salt

Helen Collier-Kogtevs - There's good money in teaching during a boom.

Dymphna Bolholt - those who can't do teach. I wonder if she put her own money in the mining towns?

John McGrath - Great $$ in RE selling agencies.

John Lindeman - makes some good wine.

Piston Broke - name says it all, perfect role model.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Very funny

I will add Helen C-K not much of a guru I believe she purchased 16 ips in Moranbah,m.

10. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

For no-nonsense, easy to follow, comprehensive nuts and bolts info; I would have to say

Jan Somers,
    Margaret Lomas,
    Steve McNight.

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. datageek

datageek Well-Known Member

I've reviewed well over 50 growth location picks from Margaret Lomas since early 2011. Most of them have failed to outperform the national average growth rate. Some even headed south.

I've analysed about 50 growth picks from Terry Ryder over the same time frame. And it's been pretty much the same story - most failed to outperform the national average growth rate.

I've done the same analysis on John Lindeman's picks, about 60 of them over the last 5-6 years. Again the same story - most have been flat as a tack.

I've only looked at about 20 so far from Sam Saggers of Positive Real Estate over the same timeframe. Same story as the other "experts". The combined average per annum growth rate has been a little over 1%.

They all have some winners they can brag about. But overall they fail more than they succeed.

I've contacted Residex for past reports offering to pay full current market price for reports that are years out of date. They refuse to sell them - 'nough said.

If anyone has a record of prior picks made by any other expert (or Residex rpts), I'd be happy to perform the same analysis and share results with everyone. I'll need suburb name and post code as well as property type (Houses or Units), the date of the recommendation and a reference/proof the expert made the pick.

William Berry, RM1827, mitsui and 4 others like this.
  12. Bayview

in fairness; I reckon the value of Marg, Jan etc is in their knowledge imparted on "how to".

Sorta like the "give a man a fish" story.

It is up to all of us to do our own D.D.

I have bought a few IP's (and PPoR's) that were never on the "guru radars" at that time, that proved to be decent investments.

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No surprises here

Check out Steve McK, his predictions in terms of markets playing in were winners

He killed it in regional Vic
    Killed it in NZ
    Killed it in USA

14. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It would be interesting if you added say 50 suburbs chosen randomly, like they do in the newspapers with shares by the dart board method.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Forget gurus......
    To think Terry all investors had to do over the last 4 years is buy anywhere in Sydney and Melbourne and they would have made a killing

16. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Time and gravity have not been kind to Sams Saggers.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This thread should be titled..... Warning... Gurus Get it Wrong all the time, like Economists...hehe

Bayview likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

We've never followed any 'guru' because at the end of the day they are just the same as us. The only possible value a 'guru' could have is if they spent a large amount of time (a lot more than you have spent on it) to research particular markets/opportunities and then report their findings. And even then it is only 1 person's research so you would then as a responsible and prudent investor need to corroborate their research by doing your own research.

So the whole idea of 'following' a 'guru' for the most part doesn't make sense. Yes someone might alert you to a particular market but then you don't just follow them. You do your own extensive research to determine the reliability/probability/risk involved of their research before you make any completely independent and informed decisions. So no one is following anyone.

Unless your a newbie who gets sucked into the hype for eg when Rocket Property Group and Lindy Lear (1 guru among many others doing the same thing) were strongly recommending to clients to buy 1 bedroom OTP units in Gladstone. I attended their meeting for fun and they were adamant it would be a fantastic investment. They had projections on the whiteboard etc etc. They had ppl signing up left, right and center who had no idea what they were doing. Not to mention the massive conflict of interest because there's a huge possibility that they were also getting kickbacks from developers. Sheep to the slaughter who no doubt got slaughtered.

Last edited: 18th Jun, 2017
  19. Bayview

Pretty much correct.....

Our last purchase was Dec 29, 2015....

785m block with knockdown house on it....paid $660k....that's $84k per sq/m.

Went to an auction in same street a month or so ago - block with knockdown, 100m further away from the beach than us (makes a difference!), block size 675m...sold for $675k... $1,000 per sq/m.

And; this is not yer inner-city high demand blue chip suburb.

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

And yet many ppl with good serviceability and deposits bought regional and woop woop or in $20/week positive CF areas around OZ.

Multi million dollars mistake right there..ouch!!

MWI and MTR like this.