Rate cuts passed on by different lenders

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Redom, 2nd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bender12

Bender12 Well-Known Member

St George Bank & Westpac passes on 0.14 for P & I loans and only 0.10 for interest only loans

2. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I have one ANZ Io loan just roll over to P & I,with exactly the scenario above,makes a difference finding an extrs $300 PM to cover it,I was told it was because of the insurer, being a 90% loan.[/QUOTE]
    Yep. Your stuck for a while. ANZ will roll back to I/O if the original application was sub 80% only.

Colin Rice and jim1964 like this.
  3. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice that banks have upped term deposit rates despite the RBA cut. Is this something we've seen before? ANZ looks to have gone just over 50bps from 1.95 to 2.5% for 4mths.

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2016
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks Jess(and Colin)! Just called ANZ and they agreed to give me 1.45% off SVR after I quoted CBA's 1.5% off. Yeah baby yeah!

5. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Great result Lacrim.

6. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

Yes I noticed this, and in combination with several bits of news recently I think that cost of funds for banks is increasing, hence not passing on full rate cut. The increase of deposit rates indicates that they are pushing for more locally sourced funds at what can only be described as very high rates.

With this in mind I am quite tempted to look at fixing at least a portion at rates below the current discounted variable rates.

Tyler Durden likes this.
  7. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

I figured it'd be something to do with costs associated with sourcing overseas funding and/or them wanting to load up on cash in preparation for BASEL IV.

The ABC offers their thoughts below;

Why are banks lifting deposit rates not cutting loans more?

Gockie likes this.
  8. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Just theorising here; but it could simply be banks trying to reallocate where their funding comes from (want more deposits relative to other forms of funding, like wholesale funding). Aussie banks like working with incentive measures - using the tools they have (pricing) to encourage certain behaviour. Interest Only/Investment loans recent repricing are a great example of this.

Deposits are a large part of their funding base (at least for the majors). With recent rate drops, the incentives drop for depositors to keep their holdings in cash falls, they take on more risks and venture into other investments. This means over time, the proportion of deposits as the majors source of funds fall. The deposit portion of funding is domestic based, as its from Australian consumers.

With the rate environment here downward and international markets potentially increasing (US, etc) - it could make sense to try and rebalance their source of funding from those markets to the domestic deposit.

Also deposits are also favourable form of funding because they are more stable than international markets, assist in meeting the new liquidity requirements that APRA have implemented.

All theorising, would be keen to hear from others.

Colin Rice, andrew_t, albanga and 2 others like this.
  9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

@Lacrim woohoo thats a great result.

10. Fortune Favors the Bold

Fortune Favors the Bold Well-Known Member

My ANZ mobile lender just wrote to me indicating that she has already negotiated a 1.45% discount. Previously the discount was 1.25%. I'm really pleased with the improvement.

Perthguy and Colin Rice like this.
  11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Ok, I call BS, these thieving *******os have been getting away with murder for 2 decades or more.

Stuff their profits, this is all a smoke screen.

Previous governments have all done back room deals with the banks and they rely on people to not know or have poor memories, like when the govt wanted to move away from cash, so they did a back room deal with the banks that for x years they would have to provide services for free , then after that, you can have at it guys cause the public will have forgotten.

When they thought labour may sneak in and a Royal Commission would ruin the party, they all fell over themselves to give the full cut, now, well, sorry, our costs are going up.

Don't take me the wrong way, we need businesses to be profitable and be healthy, but we do not need thieves with the keys and a case of rum to be left alone to do as they wish, as long as they all watch over each other, this is BS.

I am surprised that Turnbull has come out and said something, feigned outrage maybe, but it is probably what most feel, they need to shake them all up.

Brisbane04 likes this.
  12. God_of_money

God_of_money Well-Known Member

Bank of Sydney will lower its variable rate mortgage to 3.63 per cent from 3.88 per cent

Perthguy likes this.
  13. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

rams is down just 0.10%

2 year fixed is 3.89%
    3 year fixed is 3.99%
    and 5 is 4.19%

14. Mitesh Dedhia

Mitesh Dedhia Well-Known Member

Yes ANZ is giving 1.3% discount for total lending between $250k and $700k and 1.45% for $700k +

15. Delfredo

Delfredo Member

This is an improved offer over the past few months? They only gave 1.15% discount for OO P&I loan back in April 2016, and it was through the broker channel too. Amount is approx $600K with under 80% LVR. I suppose that I can't do a pricing request that soon?

16. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Shouldn't be an issue to ask again.

17. Mitesh Dedhia

Yes you can. In fact i've done couple in the last two days for existing deals & original discounts were 1.20%

18. Fortune Favors the Bold

Thanks Mitesh. Do you think it's possible to do better than 1.45% with ANZ?

19. Mitesh Dedhia

Don't think on the rate, may be a free package fee.

20. Fortune Favors the Bold

Great suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.