Rant - am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by EN710, 19th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Rant that have been done by everyone about their PM :oops: warning, long posts.

I recently changed PM as the previous one has been quite unresponsive, I.e. one response in, 1-2 weeks after emails, phone and message (and I really dislike how the people in agency keep asking, the best number to call back and never call back).

The new agency started ok, but I start to feel the same frustration again. The property has several issues to solve (bathroom leak which never addressed by the previous PM and get worse, fixes need to be done, quotes, insurance claim, tenant seeking compensation etc) and I check in regularly via email. So far most of there are usually no response within 48 hours. They are busy, fine. I tried calling (same old will call you back), message that sometimes get response and sometimes doesn't.

Tenant is currently seeking compensation for the leak (soaked carpet, damaged their furniture) - when I heard about the extent of it, I told the PM that they can break lease early as the things that needs to be done is not exactly fully fixable with them there. PM said, tenant has been cooperative I'm getting trades in and does not plan in seeking compensation. One week later, tenant demanded 1 week rent free, sure fair enough. PM said they now demand 2 weeks or they are going to tribunal, PM said that it sounds fair.

Am I being unreasonable to expect the PM to provide explanation and to push back to the tenant? Reply to email as she said she would on the day? Response within 2 days without additional follows up, especially when there're problems? Source quotes from several trades instead of only one without being asked to? :(

Oh well.

2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I feel for you, you are the customer and you have to run around and behave like you are doing the PM a favour, just to get their attention!

you could write a letter demanding you will take the PM to tribunal , this might get you going,

but you will most likely have to change PM

years ago, I in protest for them making a dumb and disobedient decision threatened and moved away 5 IPs from the same agent,
    they didnt seem to care as I never heard from them again,

oh well

EN710 likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@TMNT Thanks ... hope your situation is better?
    I have chat with her, so hope it will improve. Looks like she has been arranging some work to be done, I just wish there are a bit more follow up without me asking, i.e. a one liner that say "we have arranged xyz and waiting for quotes" will do.

4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yes thanks MTR!
    I eneded going through 4 agents, and now have found an super agent, cant believe how good and knoweldgeable he is

good luck with yours, seems like your agent is just a bit overwhelmed and not incompetantn

EN710 likes this.
  5. emza

emza Well-Known Member

Perhaps you need to see if the tenant has sent a breach notice to the PM. Damage to furniture, etc, may be very costly and for all you know there were phone calls or emails that you are unaware of.

You'll end up at tribunal and get smashed with a pile of evidence, possibly. (I'm speaking as someone who went to tribunal and the magistrate ripped the PM a new one when they saw thirty-odd emails and thirty-odd phonecalls over a six-month period).

You're in the dark at the moment - can you call the big boss? Do you live nearby? Can you request to see the tenants or inspect and then have a chat out of PM hearing?

Offering to break lease isn't really compensation or a benefit to the tenants by the way... it's a cost because now they have to move...

It does seem you need to find someone else but before you go down that route, collect your evidence. Perhaps a chat with the tenants first could be a good idea, just to hear it from them. Then talk to PM and see where the lies pop up.

EN710 likes this.
  6. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

You are not being unreasonable at all!

Firstly, communication is paramount and probably the number one complaint by landlords about their PM. We have a communication guarantee for that exact reason - if you send us an email or call and we don't return your call or email within 24 hours, you get a weeks' free management. There is just no excuse in my opinion for not returning calls and emails as it should simply be a part of every PM's workflow.

Secondly, I also agree that too many PMs fail to realise that they are representing their client in much the same way a lawyer does. They must first and foremost look after your interests and stay within the bounds of the law (advising you appropriately) whilst at the same time looking after your client and customer but not losing sight of who they represent.

Where is your property located? It's taken me a lot of time and effort to find good property managers for my portfolio so I'm confident I can provide a good referral depending on its location. Particularly if it's in SE Qld ;)

- Andrew

Susan and kierank like this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The PM is new (as the old one wasn't responsive at all) and from what I can see so far, she would tell me if there are other things that are brought up by the tenant.

:(

I'm interstate. Inspection has been done recently, property was messy - not due to the leak, just messy in general.

The fixed term lease ended in a month and tenant have indicated that they are thinking of moving back to their own property before the leak happened, they then confirm they will be moving out after it happened.

Will consider :). The current PM is new (as in, I engage a new agency in August due to poor service from previous one) and I'd like to give her sometime to sort things out. Do you service Rochedale south?

8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

We do! :D

Lil Skater and EN710 like this.