Rams or Aussie?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Sonamic, 25th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Asking for a junior colleague. FHB, baby coming in 7 months. Looking to build a new 3 bedder in SE QLD to take the 20k FHOG. Which is the better choice to keep confusion to minimum as both have baby brain at the moment?

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

They are both brokers rather than products - why not recommend them to your broker?

3. Sonamic

They want to do face to face.

Sorry all for the rushed thread. I'm at work on a tiny phone.

4. Jess Peletier

Both Aussie and Rams are only as good as the individual you're dealing with so it's very hard to say unless you have experience at either.

5. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

FHBer non investment deal - they're just franchise brands so they will likely not have much issues with either. RAMs product line may be slightly better than Aussie's, but doubtful they'd need to rely on that.

It's going to come down to the specific broker they deal with, the banner they're under won't mean all that much from a customer service experience, broker knowledge etc.

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Are they in QLD?

If so - you've got some good brokers up on the GC and Brisbane on this forum.

Cheers

Jamie

7. Sonamic

Thanks guys. Yes I realise (forgive the term) they're just stables for brokers. So luck of the draw walking through the door. At this stage they're after ease of use. Why do I keep subjecting myself to help them out? That's 3 in 2 months. Sheesh! Better than letting them wander in blind.

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

the fast food outlets of finance!

Sonamic and albanga like this.
  9. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

rams aren't a broker. Some of the franchisees and their employees may be accredited with other lenders but it is very rare for them to write loans outside of the rams brand.

The product suit isn't too bad for fhbs, certainly in the market, but the rams rep won't be comparing lenders, they are there to write a rams home loan.

Aussie also have a home brand, cba backed mortgage, they will try and flog first, but will give more of a comparison with other lenders and will hopefully give a comparison between a couple of different lenders/products.

10. Sonamic

Thanks tobe. He personal banks with NAB, which in itself is not a bad thing, but if he wants to build a portfolio, probably not the best place to start. Mortgage Choice was contacted at lunch. So thread topic is over and my help/advice is not required. Tomorrow is another day though. Admitted to blowing a good chunk of their deposit money on baby stuff, so will be looking at downgrading 1 newish car for something cheaper to free up a few $k, plus her grandparents may be up for a gifting situation. Hopefully all this along with the 20k FHOG will be enough to get a 20% Deposit together. Shopping in the 360-400k range.

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Good with RAMS...it is Westpac rebranded product and can use the Westpac ATM network. They also have 100% offset....pretty straight forward.

Just get them to make an appointment with a RAMS franchise and put in the paperwork....should be pretty straightforward.

Sonamic likes this.
  12. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Fhb need 5% plus costs. If the package is $400k they won't need much more than the grant in total, just enough to cover stamp duty and legal. Some lenders may have an issue with genuine savings but quite a few have alternatives, like rental history etc. The mortgage choice broker will probably have it all covered for them.

13. Sonamic

I'll ask some more questions today and pass on this info to him. Poor bloke seems petrified of repayment costs. I suggested they rent a room to a friend to help out cost wise, tough call to find a friend to share house with a newborn though.

tobe likes this.
  14. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Do any of you guys offer drive-through service?

15. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Nooo. And seeing lots of clients after hours over years made my diet a lot poorer and my waistline larger.
    I now pretty much only see people during working hours initially. After hours if there is a second appointment required or a second applicant who couldn't be at the first one.

16. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Same - I operate 9-5. Still better hours than a bank :)

I don't do out of office appointments.

Cheers

Jamie

Sonamic likes this.
  17. Jess Peletier

I don't do outside appointments either - wastes too much time travelling. The handy bonus about being in WA is that my interstate clients are after hours, but I'm not! 3 hour difference is very useful.

On the downside I do get the odd 6am phone call though :D

Toon and Shahin_Afarin like this.