☔️ rainy day fund

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Matt87, 21st Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matt87

Matt87 Well-Known Member

Hi Fellow PC,

What is the general rule for extra amount to leave as wriggle room in saving as just a just in case for your IP's?

I was thinking 10k?? Would that be about right or does it depend on what kind of property ?

Matt

2. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

It probably depends on what makes you feel comfortable and sleep at night without worrying.
    Personally I would want about a years rent sitting aside in an Offset for that property.
    Recently one of our IPs needed a lot of work in the space of 4 weeks - a new hot water system, a plumbing issue fixed and a new shade sale that was damaged in a storm. That was 5k in the space of 4 weeks. It would have halved ur buffer in one go. You want to make sure you can easily cover things like this when they happen.

Joynz likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

As a cash buffer, $25-50k. Covers major repair, extended vacancy etc.

My portfolio has its peaks and troughs for maintenance... and when its a peak they all seem to have issues at once. One month cost me over $10k in repairs over the portfolio. In the past 3 months I have had a gas central heating system had to be replaced, and 2 showers needing repair which was about $5k combined.

David Shih likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It gets bigger as you get older and richer..... hmmm.... that just didn't sound right.... :oops:

Anyway, I find as your wealth creation journey progresses, you have more money to put aside.
    We have enough contingency to by an entire house cash in case an opportunity shows itself and we can't get finance (allows us to do finance unconditional deals).
    Now obviously, that would have been impossible earlier on in the journey (or even the halfway point to today).

Your 10k sounds more than adequate for a house - probably more like $5k (that would take a lot of appliances to break). BUT also keep enough to service at least a month of interest payments (for vacancies etc).

Remember the emergencies are also the times you can use your platinum CC with a $50k limit, as well as making use of Afterpay etc.

The Y-man

5. TangibleGoodwill

TangibleGoodwill Well-Known Member

Does offset balance against PPOR count?

6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yes but a seperate split against the PPOR to pay for investment related expenses will be more tax effective

7. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

I maintain $10k in each property account. Let it build back up when used.

That said, I'm quite conservative.
    I strive for 12 months if all income stopped flowing.

I've dipped down below the 6 month mark previously. So it gives me peace of mind.

That comes with time though. When I first started I regularly had to borrow $1k from a friend every other month due to cashflow shortfall.

Took over 2 years before I reached a comfortable buffer.

Last edited: 22nd Oct, 2018
    GOU and Perthguy like this.
  8. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Its different for everyone and every household. If your at 90% LVR's, on IO loans & have 6 properties and can't access refinance opportunities, you need a far larger buffer than a first home buyer. As @The Y-man mentioned, some of this is natural and happens over time as your portfolio grows.

Risk buffers per property is only one risk criteria. We've tried to develop a calculator to help people calculate different buffer sizes for different risk profiles.

9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Agree with the general consensus when they say it's different for everyone.

Even within families it can differ - one spouse might want to horde loads of cash in the offset while the other sees it as wasted opportunity.

Stick to whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Cheers

Jamie

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Personally I reckon $100K per property would give me peace of mind. Each to their own. I'm at circa $40K - nowhere near enough.

11. qak

qak Well-Known Member

We don't budget like that. $100K/property seems like overkill, assuming you have adequate insurance.

This year we were repainting one property, which was a few thousand. The painter was up doing the front balcony and said we should get someone to look at the beam. It was rotten through, that was a $9K unexpected outgoing!

Having said that, that was the first ever large 'surprise' expense in 20 years. We have had 2 month vacancies due to Xmas/new year periods a couple of times.

12. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

You're asking the wrong question IMO

It's not $X as a buffer but more of a Y time scenario.

Everyone has different holding costs, financial structures, risk appetite & cashflow positions... hence, any $X response in largely irrelevant.

Last edited: 22nd Oct, 2018
    NHG likes this.
  13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The buffer requirements increase exponentially the larger your portfolio.

14. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We always renovate and bring our properties up to newish internally and appliance/function wise before we put tenants in after we purchase to minimise maintenance. I’d say 10k would be plenty if it’s a well maintained house, again as someone else said half that would be fine if it’s well maintained and insured.
    One of my properties is very old but we fully renovated it in 2016 before tenanting- it costs us $300 a year to blast the drain that tree roots block every year. We could spend 2 k to fix but don’t see the point at this stage when blasting does the job for a year and as we plan to eventually develop one day anyway. One of our other properties costs us $100 in maintenance in a year, and another has been a bit of a dog and has cost us about $1000 in unexpected costs in the past year. The killer is the council rates- feel like there’s one instalment due every week!
    If it’s a brand new house or apartment I’d say 5k would be heaps.
    Our PPOR we built 8 years ago- have been lucky to have to spend $500 on maintenance the entire time (touch wood)

15. qak

qak Well-Known Member

But why $100K per property? What are you covering with your buffer?

16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Interest rates, job loss if applicable.

Say you have a $400K loan...Interest rates went up .5%. That's $20K right there. What if it keeps going up?

What if you had to make P&I payments on top of that? What if you can't renegotiate your rate, and can't refinance?

What if you lost your job or had a business downturn in addition to?

A $10 to $20K buffer doesnt even touch the sides.

Last edited: 23rd Oct, 2018
  17. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I don’t get it. If rates go up .5% on IO that’s only 2k not 20k?

18. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

He means the entire repayment for the $400k.

I also budget for $0 rental income. It's a realistic situation.

I've had people not pay for 3-6 months before insurances kicked in when I first started investing.

As you grow your portfolios, you need larger buffers.

Perthguy likes this.
  19. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Oh okay.

20. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

400k loan =/= 400k p.a. in repayments

400k loan + 0.5% = 2k more p.a.

If you have 400k in repayments then your loans would be 8.88*M with a 60 LVR would mean your portfolio would be ~15M (80 LVR would be ~11M). I doubt many people would be at 80 LVR with a 11M portfolio however I can foresee people at 60 LVR (or less).

Which if your average yield was 3.5% (this would be conservative) you would be getting 525k in rent on the 15M portfolio or 385k on an 11M portfolio. Less 25% for expenses would be ~394k on 15M portfolio or 289k on 11M.

SO even with a 20k increase in repayments you shouldn't be having issues unless you are running already to close to the line (e.g. 80LVR on an 11M portfolio) and TBH if you have an 11M portfolio with 80 LVR it is probably a good sign to maybe slow down.