R20/60 Heathridge - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Development' started by LifesGood, 4th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Hi All,

A contact of mine has asked for some "options" regarding development potential of their lot in Heathridge. Here are the facts.

- 890sqm zoned R20/60
    - Walking distance to train station.
    - The existing house is worth keeping, but also might impede the development potential so demolition is an option if required.

Has anyone developed in Heathridge recently? Is there a market for single storey, double storey, single bed dwellings?

Any ideas or feedback is much appreciated!

Capture.JPG

2. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity what was yours and the owners thoughts.

Only thing I have seen in that same section of Heathridge has been knock downs and rebuilds. Nobody taking advantage of the rezoning yet.

3. LifesGood

They would like to keep existing and build two in the back, but at a glance I think that will be difficult. Also I haven't read up on the dual coding conditions for this pocket of Heathridge. Something I will look into a bit more this week.

4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I'd guess that the r60 will only apply to multi-unit developments. That would involve knock-down and rebuild.

If your friend wants to retain the front house, then R20 would likely apply. To build at the rear, I think they'd probably have to knock down some of their garage and outdoor area. You need a 4m access though in some cases I think you can get away with 3.5m.

If your friend is wanting to boost rental yield (reason for the 1bd units?) He could build a 2 bed, 2bath, 2 kitchen house at the back and rent out individually, or save himself the development hassle and just build a granny flat.

5. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Mate I passed on this one. Four lots easy, but nasty shapes. If you were building, then fine but OTP house and land would struggle in my opinion. All need to be two storey and 3x2s max.

I would have preferred a round of single bed townhouses here but Heathridge is still Heathridge so there's still a 3x2 /4x2 mentality floating around so settlement valuations might have a bit of an issue.

6. Aaron Sice

Very few conditions for Joondalup. Wanneroo have consolidated access requirement.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

From the looks of it you might be able to run a driveway down either (or both!) sides of the house therefore put something in the rear with access from each side - that's if keeping the house was a winner.

Depending on how close to the station it would be interesting to talk to some local REAs and see if there is appetite for 2 x 2s

LifesGood and Colin Rice like this.
  8. Aaron Sice

I live around the corner and highly doubt it. 3x2s are hard enough to move.

9. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

So what do you see as the potential for the area, plus similar sites in Padbury, Beldon and Craigie. COJ rezoned a fair chunk and these are all similar sort of areas.
    I am in the Heathridge r20/40 but not sold on the typical triplex scenario.

10. Aaron Sice

I just cant see the value in Heathridge / Beldon. Craigie maybe. Around Whitfords and Edgewater definitely.

I think people might better off doing a duplex with a pair of 4x2s (by renovating the existing and building behind). Still a family area, decent location but not in any dire need of more rentals or smaller homes....most house are already small. The 3x1 I sold out of in Beldon was only 86sqm...show me the need for an 80sqm 2x2?

11. LifesGood

@Aaron Sice you might be able to shed some light on this one. Lets say we could put two at the rear with common driveway down left hand side, we need parking in the common property?
    upload_2016-10-12_12-32-15.png

12. Aaron Sice

They've basically doubled the R Codes requirements for visitor bays. They also have a provision to allow it as an embayment bay in the street verge if possible instead of on-site.