R Codes and Plot Ratio - WA

Discussion in 'Development' started by Followingdry, 5th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Followingdry

Followingdry Member

Hi Brains Trust

I’ve been reading through the design codes Volume 2 for apartments for WA. How does one define what is an apartment vs a house I.e could a 4- unit block with common walls single storey qualify as an apartment complex to use Plot Ratio instead of R codes?

Looking at a 750 Sqm R40 block - under R codes this would be a triplex site - under a plot ratio you could conceivably build 4 units at 95sqm each - plot ratio of 0.6 I.e 450sqm of build area. It also appears that you need 45% open space so this may be reduced slightly.

Can someone please explain what I am considering wrongly here?

Second question - could you build units in a similar fashion to above on a rear block with no common property - green title or survey strata?

thanks team!

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

There's definitions for different dwelling types. Single dwelling. Grouped dwelling. Multi-dwelling. Latter is an apartment.

Also, 4 x 95sqm is 380sqm. So I'm not sure what you meant?

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Go to the back of your volume 2 and volume 1 and check out the definitions. As @thatbum says apartments are called multiple dwellings (which is a bit confusing term) and houses can be grouped dwellings or single houses (depends on title type)

You'll also have to understand the definition of plot ratio and what is included in it's calculation. If you had 450sqm of plot ratio and it's a two storey development then some of that 450sqm is on the upper floor which will help you not exceed open space which is only calculated on the amount of land covered at ground floor.

The nitty gritty of each definition helps the maths work out.

BTW apartments are always 2 or more storeys as per its definition

4. Followingdry

Followingdry Member

Apologies that should have been clearer - the 4 x 95 sqm is less than the 0.6 plot ratio requirement.

5. Followingdry

Followingdry Member

Ok th
    Thanks Westminster, that clarifies that nicely - I understood about the plot ratio and second stories but I was hoping a single storey lot of units under a single roof line could classify apartments for the purposes of the R Codes.

that they need to be 2 storey covers that.