Health & Family Quitting alcohol and social life

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 13th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

I have abstained coming up to 3 weeks this weekend. I would say I was a heavy drinker on Friday/Saturday nights - then not touch a drink until the following Friday and the routine would start again.
    Being single it was so easy to drink and game all night on the PC during the weekends. Which lead to bad habits and bad hangover.

It has been really nice to have more spare cash in the back pocket plus more productive with my weekends :)

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone pay attention to calories, I do? Dry white wine probably best option in terms of calorie in take

Gin and tonic, diet tonic, another option

3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

@MTR it's not just the calories that count with alcohol and weight management though. The body can't store alcohol so it has to be burned off immediately. The effect of this is that if you have a drink before or with your meal, the calories in the meal get stored as fat whilst your body works on burning off the alcohol. An added side effect being alcohol is an appetite stimulant so often leads to eating more when accompanied with drink.

Propin and paulF like this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

@MTR this thread is about quitting or significantly moderating your alcohol intake.

Choosing which alcohol to drink based on the amount of calories is not what we are discussing.

Feel free to start a new thread about how you choose what you drink, but please don't disrespect the other participants in this thread by dragging it off topic.

hobo and Blacky like this.
  5. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

Whilst I used to be a heavy drinker, I significantly reduced my usage and became a moderate drinker (sharing 2-3 bottles of wine a week).

On the wrong side of 55, I was also conscious that I was obese, even if my partner said i carried it well ;). I was probably 25-30kgs overweight and had been for about 30 years.

I decided to get into shape. Whilst it is still a work in progress, my new year’s resolution is to lose 27kgs to get me just inside the healthy weight range for my height - target of 79kgs. I haven’t had any alcohol since 1 Jan to help the weight loss. So far I have lost 11kgs and the weight loss continues, albeit more slowly now..

Angel, TMNT, Coffee and 7 others like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Double edged sword

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I find replacing alcohol with another drink you like can help, for example tea.... you start to enjoy this option. Its helped me alot

Nodrog and paulF like this.
  8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Note that if you’re like me and actually really enjoy the “taste” of beer as opposed to the effect of alcohol there are some excellent non alcoholic beers available. Trouble is they’re not much cheaper than normal beer. This is because a decent non alcoholic beer has to still go through the entire brewing process producing alcohol but then there is the extra step of then removing it. This is of course if calories aren’t an issue. However remove alcohol then you do remove quite a few calories.

My favourite time for a beer is after some hard yard work / mowing etc. Completing this can often be earlier in the day or around lunch time. Even if non alcoholic beer is not your preference, when sweaty / thirsty it still really hits the spot with the bitterness and carbonation.

This is my favourite non alcoholic beer available from Wollies. Note although they are a bit expensive they’re 500 ml cans:

{{metaController.metaData.title}}

D2F6C1F0-6999-4A2F-9AA4-21C7ADE7EF77.jpeg

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2019
    Jess Peletier, geoffw and willair like this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I have the Carlton Zero from time to time. It's nice in small quantities - I can't have more than one though.

My post physical work tipple is usually Sodastream water, which hits the spot that a cold beer used to hit. In the rare times there's juice in the fridge, I'll do 50 50 juice and soda.

Nodrog likes this.
  10. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to try sodas stream water @geoffw I find a pint of ice cold diet tonic water hits the spot, I like the bitterness, but it gives me gut ache.

geoffw likes this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Must dig our soda stream out of the cupboard. Something cold and very importantly “gassy” comes a long way close to hitting the spot. I often reach for Diet Coke which I want to wean myself off.

geoffw likes this.
  12. geoffw

Tonic water has a lot of sugar, although it isn't quite evident. There's less than coca cola, but not that much less (9g/100ml v 11g/100ml).

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Another option half wine, half soda water, I do this sometimes, sacrifice taste but can work

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Diet ginger beer is brilliant, addicted to this

Soda stream great, I rather drink this than water

Love diet tonic water too

Nodrog likes this.
  15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I rarely add anything to my sodastream as I just like soda water but I saw some syrups at BigW recently and decided to give them a try as they were low sugar and they were on a 2 for 1 special and about $10 a bottle.

Soda Press | Organic low sugar Soda Kombucha Cocktail flavours | Tonic

Don't make to directions as they seem quite insanely strong but just for taste. I use a ratio of about 25ml (a splosh) into the sodastream bottle. I've tried the Ginger Beer and the Kombucha. And them combined together - very nice

Nodrog and geoffw like this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I tried thos sugar free syrups quite disgusting

You can just squeeze some lime juice quite refreshing

17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I don't like artificial sugar either - very chemical taste. These ones are low sugar so don't have artificial sugar in them and taste fine. I have a lemon and a lime tree for putting some in my soda water too.

18. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Spent a few days in Sydney and Blackheath. Caught up with a couple I hadn't seen for ages. Awkward. The gent has a habit of voicing at a specific time every day of declaring the bar open. You could set your watch by him. Spirits followed by a beer followed by wine over dinner and maybe beyond. I stuck to a glass of wine as I have no desire to "get back into it."

It was OK initially but not so much as the evening progressed. I suspect I may not see them in future. A pity in one way but not in another.

Propagate, Westminster and paulF like this.
  19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Off-topic I know, but coming from a diet drink addict.

I had my first diet drink in 12 months tonight,
    It was glorious.

Did I miss it, yes
    Will I start back on it: no

So let's see if i can stay off it

Coffee likes this.
  20. geoffw

I see elsewhere that you've gone two weeks without a drink. Very well done!

Nodrog likes this.