Health & Family Quitting alcohol and social life

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 13th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Propagate,thanks for the advice on Shingles .. Hopefully i'm over the worst part ,was going in too the Doctor every three days because they were worried about the pressure on the back of the eye but it's not 100 percent only lost about 25 percent but they tell me it will come back ,I would not wish shingles on anyone I was that sick and the pain around the eye was hard to take..At least now i'm off the Antibiotics now ,was on them up too a week ago and I made up a mix with vicks vaporub plus lucas papaw ointment and mint that helped with the claw effect but it may take several months..

Positive side was I stopped drinking because of Shingles ,and I want to stay sober ,but i'm just taking one day at a time and apart from the small problem with Shingles never felt better in my life..
    Thanks again Mate,i hope you can do the same..good luck..

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4th Mar, 2019
    Propagate and geoffw like this.
  2. willair

Thanks for that Joynz,from what I read up on Shingles a lot of people over 60 seem to be ones that are most effected ,but as Clint Eastwood tells everyone,never let the old man""IN""no matter what age you are in just stay young..thanks again for that link..

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lets make a pack about drinking.....never stop

:p

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2019
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

How are you going with this? I quit alcohol for a year and my friends were very supportive. Could you talk to your friends about how important this is to you?

paulF likes this.
  5. Chicken or Beef?

Chicken or Beef? Well-Known Member

I’m horrified with what I am reading here. Why would you quit drinking unless you couldn’t control yourself and had to get black out drunk every time. Moderation people, learn it, use it, it’s one of life’s great skills.

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I'll assume the comment was made tongue-in-cheek.

If not, it isn't how it works and is insulting to those who, for whatever reason, have decided to give up alcohol.

Toon, Joynz, Perthguy and 7 others like this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

It's actually been pretty good lately. I think they finally accepted that I just don't like to drink as much as they do and that pressuring me into drinking whenever they are will simply put an end to our friendship. Still get a bit of resistance every now and then but nothing like before

willair, Perthguy, Propagate and 2 others like this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

While your post was meant to be light hearted, it is a bit insensitive given the struggles people have had in this thread with people not accepting their decision not to drink.

hobo, Blacky, Propagate and 2 others like this.
  9. geoffw

I too hope it's tongue in cheek, though it's difficult to tell. Even tongue in cheek, it's an attitude that people trying to give up, face in real life.

There are a lot of reasons people give up drinking. The scenario here is one extreme reason, there are a lot of others. It can be seriously difficult, and people should be encouraged, and not judged.

Toon, willair, Blacky and 4 others like this.
  10. willair

Still have not had a drink this year ,just wondering how's everyone going with less or none at all..

But I have walked in the bottle shop a few times ,and walked out with nothing and it become's easy after a while
    if you take it one day at a time..

paulF, geoffw, Perthguy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Good work @willair I slipped back into the "comfort" of a daily few again unfortunately. I managed to go a whole week again last week then succumbed once more to temptation Friday and Saturday nights. Was determined to go at least weeknights this week without a drop but again, few beers put away last night (excuse was to swill out the taste of rancid dam water after I'd spent all arvo in the sludge in the damn trying to pull old fallen trees out of it, what a stink).

willair likes this.
  12. Perthguy

I was trying to work out if I have had any alcohol the year and I can't remember. I'm pretty sure I haven't but I haven't been deliberately trying not to drink. It just becomes second nature after a while.

paulF and willair like this.
  13. Perthguy

I'm not a problem drinker but quit all alcohol for a year for a challenge. I'm quite surprised you would have a problem with that.

In terms of moderation, google alcoholism a read up on the struggles that some people face with alcohol addiction.

Propagate, wylie and geoffw like this.
  14. willair

Propagate--My mate who has been sober for over 17 years ,and who has helped me still tell me everyday he still thinks about having a drink every day even after all those years..

You will get there,just gotta wake up one morning and say that's it and each day get's better..

I don't want to sound like a born again non drinker ,as I have nothing against people who drink each to their own..good luck..

Perthguy and Propagate like this.
  15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I haven’t quit alcohol but significantly reduced my intake. I’ve increased exercise noticeably and cleaned up my diet. But rather that go to extremes (some have no choice if addiction is an issue) I’ve chosen to take an “in moderation” approach. Essentially being fit and in good health is the goal.

paulF, Propagate and willair like this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is easy to say coming from someone who has no problems with moderating their intake of *insert whatever you have a problem with here*.

I'd say until you understand more about the problems some face with addiction this comment is not helpful.

Last edited: 17th Apr, 2019
    Toon, willair, geoffw and 1 other person like this.
  17. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

So true. I'm no longer a binge drinker, (back in the "good old days" it scares me now to look back at what I used to put away), but it's not about the volume anymore, it's about the compulsion. When someone finds themselves questioning whether the one beer they've just reached for in the fridge on a Tuesday night is something they REALLY want then it's no longer a "treat", or a take it or leave it moderated indulgence, it's an addiction.

As @wylie says, this can be anything, not necessarily booze and not necessarily sometime that's inherently bad for you per se.

I have a very addictive personality, I'm so glad I couldn't stand the taste and smell of the first cigarette I tried as a kid and I'm so glad I ran a mile from any of my mates that experimented with drugs when we were young as I've always been self aware enough to know that if I like something, that's it, I'm all in....

18. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Some people have more success if they don't go cold turkey but allow themselves one night a week of moderation. It's like telling a dieter they can't have chocolate - their brain and emotions then desire it more and more. Most successful dieters are "good" 80% of the time and moderate 20%. I say moderate because it's not a binge, it's not a free for all but it's the diet equivalent of 2 drinks.

There is ** with this rationale though. If any drinking is a problem then it should be 100% abstinance but for those that want to give it up for health reasons etc then granting permission during the beginning can stop the guilts of falling off the wagon and then guilt bingeing for weeks until you get back on.

willair, Propagate and Nodrog like this.
  19. geoffw

I had a problem stopping when there was more easily available. I tried moderation for about six weeks, but then slipped - I went cold turkey after that.

willair likes this.
  20. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Still none at all, happy to watch others get silly

willair, Perthguy and Propagate like this.