Quick Intro.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jonno Yeo, 13th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jonno Yeo

Jonno Yeo Well-Known Member

Just a quick introduction.

26 years old, and looking to get into the property game.

Currently own a commercial office in Adelaide with my parents, wholly own one quarter of it, valued at around ~$500,000 (so my share ~$125,000). Currently held under a family trust.

We're looking to sell this as the new tenants are not paying all outgoings vs our old tenants so we're only netting around $6k vs $30k or so/annum from our old tenants.

Once sold i plan to use the cash as deposits for one or a few IPs.

I'm still quite new to everything as i've always left it to my parents to handle.

Currently work for a bank so get 1% off the standard variable and fixed rate loans + no app fees, no on going fees etc. so would like to take advantage of this.

Only making $58,000/annum gross before super and am renting in Melbourne. Living costs and general living expenses are quite high atm. I plan on moving back to Adelaide in the medium long term (5-10 years time) and my goal is to eventually hold an IP that I can move into.

Interested in purchasing my first IP in Adelaide (however i live and work in Melbourne) although am open to property in Melbourne however I just have no idea about areas like I do in Adelaide. Looking for mainly some positive cash flows.

Keen to start reading :)

Last edited: 13th Jul, 2015
    Jess Peletier likes this.
  2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Which bank do you work for?

MJS1034 likes this.
  3. Jonno Yeo

One of the big four haha. From what I hear most If not all of the banks offer the same or similar 'deal' to their permanent staff.

Although from what I hear from friends is that I could get better deals from a broker? Not sure how true. Maybe only for higher borrowing amounts.

4. Jess Peletier

You won't get a better deal on an IP through a broker at this point. Do you get LMI waivers?

5. Jonno Yeo

From memory we don't however not 100% on that.

Either way I figured once I free up capital with the office LMI should not be an issue?

I can also get a family guarantee?

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I know of people who work for a big 4 bank who got a better deal through a broker. Not sure if things have changed but it doesn't hurt to look

7. Jess Peletier

When there was pricing discretion on IP's we definitely could. Now however it's a different ball game. If it was a PPOR we could do better than 1% off the SVR for sure.

That said, with a completely different lender we could also get a more cost effective loan (I was talking about just the big 4 before) - but cost effective isn't always all it's cracked up to be, there's often an unseen cost to cheap lenders.

Hodor likes this.
  8. Jonno Yeo

What are the general benefits of a home as your PPOR vs IP?

Vs the obvious exemption of no CGT when selling?

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Doesn't the rent/yield effect the resale value? When selling do you advertise it with the full rent and hope the prospective purchasers don't find out that it's not including outgoings?