Questions about a KDR in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Development' started by Frannymo, 4th Apr, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frannymo

Frannymo Well-Known Member

Husband and I purchased a 3/1/1 worker's cottage last year in Brisbane and are planning to do a KDR in the next few years. We've spoken to Plantation Homes and Clarendon.

Anyone have experience with these volume builders and have any advice on which to go with? We are wanting to build something along the lines of the Boston 400 (Clarendon) and have been quoted just under $700k not including landscaping, removal of existing structure and driveway. So realistically I think we might be looking at $850k+ more if we want to put on a pool.

Questions:
    1. Are there other builders we should speak with?
    2. Are we making a mistake sinking that much into our PPOR? This will be our "forever home".
    3. Is a pool worth it in terms of adding value (this is the only way I could sell it to hubby)
    4. Any other tips to avoid over capitalizing?

Big A and iloveqld like this.
  2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

I speak to more than just those 2 builders that's for sure!
    I'd make sure everything is included, a common tactic used is telling you a price, then you pay the deposit and then they advise you have to pay more for what are considered 'standard items' for most houses (fixtures and fittings, driveways, etc.)

As this is for your owner occ forever home I personally wouldn't worry about over capitalizing because well it's your forever home. That's just me, if it was an investment property I'd be thinking differently.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  3. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Firstly congratulation as I still remember that you were once a bearish people here :) but you did change and made a move in good time to see the result right away, many things seem to go well with you, all the best.

Regarding builders, they are both OK and just to make sure you understand how they make money to run their business to make the best out of it. Upgrades also never be enough so just choose what you can afford and focus on what you really want, best way to rank them in a list and move them in a correct priority before deciding. Hope it helps.

4. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Used Clarendon homes many years ago up in NSW for a house build. Overall was a good experience and no real issues. Build price seems reasonable in today’s market. Yes get a pool, your in QLD. Avoid upgrading or making variations, that’s where they will sting you.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  5. Frannymo

Frannymo Well-Known Member

Thanks for tip! Any other builders we should look at?

I think I was more a "boom skeptic" rather than bear, I was always 100% committed to buying in Brisbane in the near term but am not an investor, so have a different perspective from many here. I hope my kids will be able to afford to buy a house one day so that colours things....But I have leaned so so much on this site so for that I'm grateful ☺️

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Apr, 2024
    iloveqld likes this.
  6. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

I visited all display house in Brisbane and also asked for references from friends. You will be more peaceful when you can check out a newly real built by yourself as it is the first KDR.

7. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

I don’t think overcapitalising is an issue with a volume builder . I’d join the Facebook groups relating to each builder . There are some pretty shocking stories with all the volume builders but I guess you have to accept you pretty much get what you pay for .