Question about typical Heidelberg West House

Discussion in 'Development' started by JK200SX, 9th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

I've always wondered how you go about developing this type of block, typical of the Heidelberg West, and thought I would pose this question to the experienced developers on this forum:
    331 Liberty Parade Heidelberg West Vic 3081 - House for Sale #122931858 - realestate.com.au

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x5615d816e9d9bfe2!6m1!1e1

I hope the second link works and shows wat I'm talking about. What you can see is what is really two houses joined on the boundary, and each of the houses are on separate titles. It seams as though both houses share a common wall. So, if you were to buy one of the houses, how would you go about knocking it down/ developing the site into something else?

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Check the title. Could be a party wall - if it is you'll need to leave it there. If not, the wall will be duplicated on the other property, and you can remove your side

Mustafa Salehi likes this.
  3. Mustafa Salehi

Mustafa Salehi Well-Known Member

@JK200SX How many are you planning to build on this lot? Have you done a feasibility study? Does it meet your expected ROI?

4. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

No feasibility or anything yet.
    My question is, can you pull down your house that is connected to the one next door, and what is the process?

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yes you can demolish one half subject to council approval. I don't know how but I have seen it done on 3 Bamfield, Heidelberg Heights. Half of a duplex pair was knocked down to build a 2 storey house. Look up the address and check out the satellite photo. Number 5 is the new build. It's huge!

3 Bamfield Road, Heidelberg Heights, Vic 3081 - View Sold History & Research Property Values - realestate.com.au

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

7. Tufan Chakir

Assuming there are no "heritage" or similar overlays, all you will need is a Building Approval for demolition to pull down your house. Check the title to see if the wall is common, or a party wall, or entirely on your property. Generally though, no issues with the demolition per se, the finesse is in the "common" wall question - the rest can go (assuming no planning controls as above)

lixas4 and Perthguy like this.
  8. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

I am thinking of doing similar for PPOR which is a survey strata duplex with a common party wall. So the part wall will have to remain it seems.

Am i supposed to get a structural engineer to review prior to demolition application? Or if i speak to a demo company will they usually handle this?

9. Tufan Chakir

If you're planning to rebuild/develop you'll need an engineer sooner or later. Maybe get one involved sooner, and have the wall checked. i wouldn't rely on the demolition company unless they include a certification/check from an engineer

10. goponcho

goponcho Active Member

Thanks will try find one!

11. Footeriny

Footeriny Member

Yes you can pull down one house and leave the other. This has been done in Heidelberg West Several times. Seems to cost about 8K to get an engineer to put there name to it on completion though.

12. Footeriny

Footeriny Member

Also beware of the drainage, one side can run stormwater and sewage through the other sides system.