Question about PPOR Mortgage & Share Investment

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by TaylorTako, 30th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TaylorTako

TaylorTako Active Member

Yes @Terry_w I have read this loan structure, I like the idea of all income going into the offset and putting expenses on an interest free credit card..

Just so you get a better understanding of my situation, I would be investing in shares in an index fund that returns (on average) 11.6% (roughly half dividends/half growth).

My current loan is a P&I PPOR with an LVR of about 95% (I know - I need to improve this, part of my goal this year). My current interest rate is 4.29%.

Using my current loan with the low interest rate, I could use a LOC (Would need to get LVR below 80% first), with a rate of 5.87%.

OR

I could refinance my CBA loan into a Standard variance IO loan, with an interest rate of 5.22%.But would have the benefit of freedom in setting up splits to draw down and flexibility.
    The downside would be a slightly (about 1%) higher interest rate than the previous set up..
    I could set up something similar to your Tax Tip #13 structure..

Just by looking at this at a high-level, personally, what would you opt for ?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

With a :VR of 95% you would have paid considerable LMI so I would be reluctant to move especially with it not being deductible.

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Your broker should be able to bring this down significantly if you're taking the MAV package. Will most likely be mid to lowish 4% at the high LVR for the IO SVR. Probably around 4.75% (ish) for the LOC splits if that's how you decide to go.

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal and your broker isn't taking charge of it - it's actually quite straight forward (unless he/she is used to set and forget owner occupier loans, which may be the case).

You are maybe confusing what a LOC is - it's just a loan product and you can switch your current loan into a LOC very easily - as I said before, just a form with CBA. No need to draw on equity and no need for a new application.

Because you've paid such a large amount of LMI, just splitting and switching the loan to an appropriate product/s and changing to IO will be a much better option than refinancing to another bank.

4. TaylorTako

TaylorTako Active Member

Thanks again for the responses guys,

You're definitely right about the refinancing, that's not really an option. @Terry_w

With that MAV discount you mentioned @Jess Peletier , it seems you're right.. I think the best thing would be switch to the standard variable rate
    for that flexibility and ability to offset/split, the MAV discount will reduce my rate to 4.72%.

Now just to work out WHEN to change over, the house is currently being built at the moment, so it's only interest only, currently paying 4.29% interest which is pretty good for the time being, I don't really see any benefit to change over just yet.

Not sure if you have any thoughts about that? if not, thanks again for all the assistance!

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

hello Taylor
    A quick question about the Noel Whittaker book you read. How old is it? Why I ask is that he has done some great stuff but if it is a very old edition, the products Jess, Rolf and Terry mention may not have existed. For example I just looked through my copies first published in the 1990s and there is no VAS or LOC in the indexes.

6. TaylorTako

TaylorTako Active Member

Hi @Angel ,

I'm using one of his latest editions.

He doesn't specifically mention VAS, which is an ETF, I did my own research for this.

I'm relatively sure there is discussion of LOC's in my edition.

Hope that helps.

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

All good then.