Qoute seems expensive ? Vertical blinds

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 8th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

my tenant has requested new vertical blinds as the others have been falling off.
    These are those blinds that look like strips .
    I dont think they are very strong actually.

I thought they would ve cheap but... A small kitchen window the one over the sink has come back at $176 ... In fact all the windows are $176 ...? There are 5 windows to be done.. they are even asking $140 to remove the old vertical blinds... Carpet Court .

Im thinking just leaving the old verticals there and maybe getting a handyman to put curtains rods up so the tenant can put their own up .

I think only the lounge room and 2 bedrooms are most important rather than the kitchen window.
    Too bloody expensive ... I told the PM there are already vertical blinds there but apparently the strips are falling off ??
    I dont want venetions they will get wrecked quick ... Any suggestions ???

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

You can buy the plastic holders that hold the strips onto the track for about 50c ea. from the same place that sells the vertical blinds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8th Dec, 2015
    JacM likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How about a quote from someone who makes blinds not lays carpets?

JacM likes this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Making sure the carpet matches the blinds!

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

The going rate for verticals seems to be circa $140-$150 per window. Can't say I would use Carpet Court for the job though. Speak to your property manager - they should have some contacts of windowcoverings installers in the area that have been used on other properties. Normally the ones that are prepared to discount their rate a bit to get more work will squawk to the property managers since they can offer a pretty constant stream of business.

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe just don't waste your time on items like this,saying yes it's finished off the problem list,say no then ,unless you can make a appointment buy a 5 buck tube of superglue and reset the top link points,then they will just break again,and the same is replayed more lost time,i'm not a Accountant but most various costs associated are just a tick on the list sitting on the other side of the Accountants office every six months,..

bob shovel likes this.
  7. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Unfortanetely it seems the strips on the vertical blinds have come off in different places leaving gaps in the blind etc... But isnt up to me as LL to provide blinds or curtains?
    Maybe be easier just to get the verticals fixed ???

I dont want to spend too much because i wont make a profit and secondly. Dont have the money.The IP is much much nicer than my small dingy 1 bedroom PPOR flat here in Kings Cross

I had the NEW carpet cleaned before she moved in at her request.

My new tenant is turning into one of those you read about on here.:eek:

The PM has just emailed me that the tenant has requested a gas stove? Surely she knew it was a normal electric before she moved in:rolleyes:

I think better if i just get a handyman to put curtain rods up and the tenant can put her own curtains over the verticals?
    Is that a better idea? Knowing this tenant though it seems she will make me pay for her curtains ! If she does then im choosing Pink and Purple !! :D
    Shes been in 3 weeks and i have replaced 2 x flyscreens after she found small holes in them:oops:
    But..... I dont want to run away from what probaly is my respinsiblity and if the verticals are broken ( have gaps in between) then i suppose i should order new ones... But i think the bedroom ones are the most important not the kitchen window .

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Dec, 2015
  8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Hate is a strong word...

I HATE!!! these this with a passion! nothing but trouble...

You prob thought your spending was over for awhile after all the work you just did, do yourself a favor and get rid of them, DIY something from this - Spotlight - Catalogues Page | Spotlight Australia

9. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

It really bugs me when property managers merely forward on maintenance requests from tenants without discussing it in some way with the landlord (eg advising of what MUST be done versus what is optional or riculous). Chat to your property manager and tell them you understand they are obliged to make you aware of the requests, but it is time to tighten the belt.

With windows that don't need an arrangement like verticals (eg such as kitchen or bathroom) go with a cheapie PVC rollerblind from Spotlight that you can cut to size with the scissors and get a handyman to install it.

10. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

The only good vertical blinds are the ones thrown in bins or those thatyou haven't paid for. Horrible things, I certainly wouldn't be putting new ones in.

BKRinvesting and wylie like this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm with those who hate vertical blinds.

The 80's called and want their vertical blinds back :D.

vtt likes this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Verticals are rubbish. But on a sliding door I don't mind them. Some Muppet LL put ventians over the back sliding door! And they're the cheap thin ones Thai cease and bend easily

WestOz likes this.
  13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

They still break too easy, kids put their dirty hands all over them etc, pain in the butt to clean.

I prefer a single machine washable curtain on a easy to slide rod, like this

[​IMG]

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have to agree with you there @sanj - a decent roller blind from Kresta or Bunnies is far better than a Kmart special or verticals.