QLD Reno - Before and During

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by EN710, 2nd Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

This is for a forced renovation in one of the property in QLD - Before and during photos (and after photos later, hopefully next week). Also, this is a VERY long post, scroll right down to skip the to the photos :)

Long story short
    Bathtub had a hole, leaked all over the property. Carpet all soaked, tenant leave earlier than expected, bathtub cannot be plugged without it failed in again in the near future. So I went with full carpet replacement and bathtub redo.

Renovation
    Manage the renovation interstate with a builder (thanks @Taku Ekanayake for the contact, also Pam from Polyplus who I ask various questions and answered them generously).

Learnings
    Made a lot of mistakes a long the way - they are kind of a sore spots that cost money.... but also learn a lot - I would do better next time :). Some of my learning below - many are so obvious it's embarrassing o_O

1. Minimise 3 ways communications
    - unfortunately the PM (who now no longer work with the agency) were not responsive enough to keep following up. I followed up with the PM initially with no response from the trades contacted. Took me up to 1.5 months to actually get a written quotes, I ended up taking over the communications and finally got the quote right over.At that point tenant have just left the property and I scrambled to get things organised together.
    • Don't rely on PM to follow up, especially if previous communications has not been ideal
    • In many ways, I do prefer to be in contact directly with the trades, especially on bigger job - easier to communicate and make decision within the hour, not 24-48h span.

2. Confirm and double check everything - Even with minimal middleman communications, things still go wrong with only phone communications.

Bathroom layout
    - I thought I communicate things clearly, builder thought he gets it too. Not really. Builder thought I wanted shower over tub, I want it next to tub. The simple drawn layout I created can look a bit ambiguous (I thought it was clear). Thank goodness the tiler double check. Consequences: additional plumbing bill outside the quote.

Bathroom size
    - Initially builder said it's 'around 2 x 2.4m'. I sourced a 1650mm freestanding bathtub and then was told it won't fit. Room is approx. 1.5m x2.2! Fine, returned the item and got the 1500mm.
    • Whoops #1, after sheeting tub won't fit - plumbing need to be tidied up so there's a bit more room to the wall.
    • Whoops #2 tub still doesn't fit as manuvering 1500mm brick shaped tub in 1510mm room is plain not possible! Return the bathtub as fraction of price as box is no longer there -_- Ordered 1400 tub from NSW, double checked measurement and asked the trade to reconfirm from provided sizing.
    He said all ok, to be installed next Tuesday. Let's hopes there is no WHOOPS #3 on the tub.

3. Maybe, let the builder source the supplies - ... and avoid buying the wrong items myself!

4. Prepare for additional costs
    - Upon opening the walls, more damage found so $$$ variation to contract cost. Builder noted other maintenance items that cost $$ (rotting eaves, gutter full of leafs, need gutter guard etc). I visited the property and noted smaller maintenance items (missing lights, broken lights, etc) add $$. Better do it now that later.

5. Always have buffer and insurance - Buffer very obvious and can't stress how important this is. I was losing sleep over the amount of costs, but at least I do have the fund to finish the renovation. Insurance decision come up and it does cover the bulk of the cost (minus some upgrades and the silly mistakes above). Reno is not done but, because of insurance I will come out with some bruises instead of KO'd.

6. Sometimes, higher quality material ended up costing less or that full replacement cost same/less than patch up.
    • I changed the carpet to 5mm loose lay vinyl plank - this cost less in total compared to going with the cheaper glue down 3mm. Shop around, I got a range from $65 per sqm right up to $100+ persqm
    • Was also going to paint the kitchen splashback - replacing it cost pretty similar.
    • Tiles - sourced economic tiles $12 persqm, it supposedly only has visual imperfections. In reality, the edge has little chips - still functional, just not something you'd want if it's a PPOR. Some tiles also not a perfect 300x600 so it's harder for the tiler to use.

Will add more as I remember more points.... I haven't had a good sleep this week.

Before Photos
    [​IMG] upload_2016-12-2_21-37-9.png upload_2016-12-2_21-37-59.png upload_2016-12-2_21-38-29.png

During Photos
    upload_2016-12-2_21-39-27.png
    upload_2016-12-2_21-40-13.png

upload_2016-12-2_21-40-53.png

Attached Files:

Toon, Adele, WattleIdo and 5 others like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

More bathroom - waiting for bathtub
    upload_2016-12-2_21-43-21.png upload_2016-12-2_21-45-14.png
    upload_2016-12-2_21-44-5.png upload_2016-12-2_21-44-30.png

Laundry and kitchen doesn't seem to change much
    upload_2016-12-2_21-45-58.png upload_2016-12-2_21-46-40.png
    upload_2016-12-2_21-47-10.png

Attached Files:

Toon, Adele, WattleIdo and 5 others like this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Sneaky peak of the bathtub. Minimum hiccup apart from needing to change the drainage. Reno cost has blow up out of proportion either way but at this point as long as the tub does not need to be returned, it is a win.

Attached Files:

Toon, Adele, WattleIdo and 1 other person like this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Got screen, no mirror as the size needed (max 450mm width) wasn't available but can be done next time....

Attached Files:

Adele and WattleIdo like this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

That bathroom is looking great!

How's the cost in reality compared to budget?

6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

*cough* :oops:

Initial Budget was without plumbing change plus no tub, just shower 9500 including fittings.

Decided to go with layout change as I needed to add additional drains anyway:

Initial quote $8200 excluding fittings, fittings approx $2000 (freestanding tub $900, tiles $370, other fittings about $400 including vanity, glass $200).
    Additional plumbing $1800 due to miscommunication (and reply back to make the room marginally wider) plus water damaged walls on adjacent room, plus full tile the bathroom $2700:confused: - about $15k now fully done

7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Ah well - once it's done it's done. Can you get anything on insurance due to the leaks?

EN710 likes this.
  8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Pretty much almost everything minus excess, floor upgrades as insurance cover only carpet replacement. And mistakes on bathtub supply and small bits and bobs. I came out pretty intact on that front - very lucky.

In total I have about $5k out of pocket - excess on flooring upgrade, kitchen refresh and other maintenance work on the property that cost about $1500 - bits and bobs plus replacing partially rotting eaves at the back - not part of insurance work.

The insurance have just paid itself for the next several years :)

Adele and Jess Peletier like this.
  9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Proper before and after

Bathroom - layout has been changed to allow separate shower and bathtub, very happy with the end results. More modern now and doesn't sacrifice the bathtub.
    Kitchen - personally I think Kitchen would have just got away with the splash-back updated and skip the bench-top paint especially in the way it's applied at the moment, so I might have wasted money there. Positive is that the paint will hide all the scrathes and burnt on the original.
    Flooring - very happy with how it look. Vinyl plank will be my go to choices in the future (when there is no floorboard to sand and polish) :)

Attached Files:

Toon, Adele and Tranquilo like this.
  10. Kis Kis

Kis Kis Well-Known Member

Hi what was your cost for kitchen and floorinv reno? Great job done!

EN710 likes this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Looks much cleaner. Bathroom looks great.

The only thing that I would look at adding is a mirror cabinet or narrow shelf or two above the basin (and maybe that is coming already but not in the photo).

Nice bath too.

EN710 likes this.
  12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Kitchen about $1k? Just replacing the splashback and repaint the bench. The floor cost 5.5k including carpet removals - the damage on carpet covered by insurance. I upgraded it to vynil plank :)

13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Thank you :D

I only add mirror as it was a bit last minute, but maybe in future will be small mirror cabinet so more space. I like that it somehow can fit both tub and shows space :)

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Was this thread from a year ago?

Anyway, I really like the bath too :)

EN710 likes this.
  15. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Looks great

16. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Looks fantastic, and you seem to have done quite well by timing it with the insurance claim. The bathroom design is very clever.

I've seen some people get some great results painting kitchen cabinet doors. A neutral colour and some new handles might modernize it?

EN710 likes this.