QLD - Pool advice needed

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 11th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

We are early in the process of building a new home and are also looking at options for pools.

We are a family of 5 and our kids (5, 8 and 10) love the water. We are also based in QLD so the pool is going to get good use!

Personally, Im looking for a pool which I can do laps in, so something atleast 9m long (preferably closer to 10m).

At this stage, I have no idea whether to go with a concrete or fiberglass pool as I don’t really know the pros and cons of each.

Would be great to get some advice between the two options and if theres anything we need to consider with a pool.

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What about a swim jet? Our pool is fairly small at eight metres long, and even a ten metre long pool isn't great for laps.

Concrete is better from a resale point of view. You don't see upmarket houses with fibreglass pools generally. It very much depends on the finish and value of the house. If you were looking to buy the house you are building, would you be disappointed if the pool was fibreglass?

3. robbie_p

Good points - The house we are building is going to be the house the going to be living in until all our kids finish school (at least 12 years), so from that point of view, perhaps a concrete pool would be a better choice.

As a kid we had a concrete pool and the pool still look great after 20years!

The build is at a new development in Glass House and the estate is fairly "upmarket" compared to the surrounding areas and houses.

In terms of pool size, the width of the block is 17m and we have probably close to 10m in depth, so we could go longer than 10m, however, so want a HUGE pool.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just some of the fiberglass pools I've seen around.
    Fiberglass not really anymore, composite of Kevlar, Carbon and Basalt Fibers

Obviously need to weigh up how much cheaper/stronger etc they are vs concrete

Propin likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Wow... those look good!

When I think "fibreglass pool" I guess I'm thinking back to ones that used to look pretty cheap.

Those definitely don't look cheap.

Perhaps it's worthwhile asking local agents whether one or the other is going to add (or detract) when it comes time to sell. I cannot imagine anyone complaining about those pools above though.

We got years of use from our pool with kids aged 9, 6 and 2 when it went in. Now we hardly use it but it costs very little to run.

Our son bought a house with a pool and says he wishes it wasn't so big as they don't do laps. I guess it comes down to how you will use it, how much yard you have, what you want to spend.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Our pool is so old that is made out of besser blocks. Most pools are around 50,000 litres; our is 100,000 litres.

We have owned the property for 33 years. So, I am guessing the pool is 35 to 40 years old.

I still swim in it every day during the warmer months, sometimes up to 3 times a day.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Yeah they've definitely come a long way since the one shape (usually kidney shaped), bright blue fiberglass pools :)

wylie likes this.
  8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I went with Narellan pools, fiberglass. It looks really sparkly and I'm happy with the look and the price which was about $25k less than bespoke concrete. It also warms up really quickly in the sun. The only issue is you have to take the sizes and shapes they offer so some compromise was required. Also the colour of the pool bears no relation to the colour once water is in it. Ours is grey and looks blue.

Propin likes this.
  9. robbie_p

Thats great to hear! Narellan pools is one of the companies we looking at. I'll send you a PM

10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My mum’s pool is 12m long, it was nice to do laps in, I wouldn’t want it any smaller

kierank likes this.