QLD QLD new smoke alarm legislation

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Shady, 30th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Whats everyone doing to comply with the new legislation regarding smoke detectors in QLD?
    I've just received an email from one of my property managers with a brochure from their contractor and the prices seem a bit over the top.
    Initial upgrade and 12 months subscription is...
    $359 - 1 Room
    $459 - 2 Rooms
    $559 - 3 Rooms
    $659 - 4 Rooms
    $759 - 5 Rooms

2nd year 'subscription' is $129

Considering I have 4 bedrooms plus the hallway, I'm up for $759

And another quote just in for $845

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2019
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Whoever said don't invest in bedsits? :rolleyes:

Michael Mitchell and Shady like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Waiting until early next calendar when (hopefully) prices will come down.

For a 3-bedroom house (4 x alarms), I was quoted $676 :eek:.

4. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Considering the units cost $80 each and just need to be screwed into the ceiling I'm considering just flying up and doing it myself.

5. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

I thought this too, but the misses will want to come and want to stay somewhere nice go out for dinners .. would be cheaper to pay a contractor!

I'll be waiting until the price drops per unit, if it does...

Michael Mitchell and Shady like this.
  6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Don't they need to be wired up by a sparky ?

7. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I believe you can get away with a certain 10 battery unit at $80 a pop. One for each room and adjoining space, Ie hallway or living needs one along with the bedrooms, also if split level needs them as well.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  8. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Nope, 10 year lithium battery or hardwired.

Seems the only requirements for a single level house are:-
    1 for each bedroom
    1 for the hallway
    Photoelectric
    Interconnected
    Hardwired OR 10 year Lithium Battery

Needs to be completed by the 1st Jan 2022 so no great rush

There's a huge industry being created from 'maintenance' of smoke detectors from people who have no qualifications at all. Not that there's a definition in the Act about who is a 'properly qualified' person.
    I can see it getting to the point similar to commercial where we'll need a fire safety schedule for each property detailing all the safety measures and have an annual fire safety inspection lodged with the council each year.

Dan Wood, Beano and Michael Mitchell like this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its far more complicated than hardwired OR lithium Shady

The new legislation specifies that all Queensland dwellings will be required to have interconnected photoelectric smoke alarms in all bedrooms, in hallways that connect bedrooms with the rest of the dwelling and on every level.

Hardwired or wireless interconnected units are required from 2022+ and they must ALL be interconnected with each other. Hardwired units must only be replaced with hardwired units. The wireless units are in less abundant supply but I have seen two types. Clipsal + Brooks Approx $120 each. The 2017 rule for battery units is a issue which has already passed and will be a costly issue although it appears to only relate to a dwelling CONSTRUCTED after the 2017 date so a mix and match of hardwire and battery of linked units could be permitted it appears. Have yet to find the answer but I suspect they create their own network and dont connect to a wifi network as this could fail in a fire.

https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au/community-safety/smokealarms/Pages/sold-leased-properties.aspx

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2019
    Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Take a look at Lifesaver brand too. They are cheaper than Brooks and Clipsal and the alarm company I’m thinking of moving to uses them for their reliability and warranty support.

kierank likes this.
  11. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I received the same notice. I'm just going to wait until its closer to the date, hoping the price will come down or there will be some other approved solutions. Not needed till Jan 2022

Shady, Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.
  12. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Digging up a semi-old threat. I just had the rudest call from someone in my PM's office, who I've never dealt with and isnt my usual PM, pretty much having a go at me for not accepting their quote. She was trying to convince me that "It's only going to get more expensive" and "Do you realise that supply will be an issue because of the coronavirus?" Her tone annoyed me a bit and really made me question whether there is a backhand payment for them, and whether they are genuinely looking out for my best interests.

I got a quote for $654 to have 4 alarms supplied and installed in a tiny 3 bedroom house. Looking at the previous posts above, it looks like prices haven't changed much, up or down.

Speaking to a mate who knows a sparky, he said you can can get 240V ones that are interconnectable for about $32 each, retail. They said to just buy 4 of them and have a local sparky install them. I'd be looking at $350 max, total.

I got two houses close to each other, so may be able to work out a better deal.

Having a quick look, it seems you can get the LifeSaver ones @wylie mentioned for $31.35.

PSA LIFESAVER LIF5800-2 | Photoelectric Smoke Alarm 240v with 9v Battery Backup Series 2 - PSA Products

Might be worthwhile for you to look at this link too!

13. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Given we need 15 over a few properties, I'm going to wait 12 months and see if a better offering comes out. Otherwise getting a sparky for a day, a box of the correct alarms and a list of addresses seems to be the best way to go.

mikey7, Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.
  14. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

Need brain trust here if this is reasonable. Two storey (small) house with existing 2 smoke alarms (SA). Been quoted $120 per alarm, if enter into contract before 30jun20. Quote for 2 existing SA, 2 new SA due to 2 storeys, and 4 new SA in bedrooms (4) = around $1,000. Thanks.

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I want to know how the 10 year battery ones can be "interconnected"

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Check the specs, some are wordlessly interconnectable.

ozwanderlust likes this.
  17. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd say no not a reasonable price. The purchase cost is as little as $32 as wylie and mikey pointed out, and the install cost should be on a parts and labour basis which is maybe a couple of hours work for a sparky and maybe an apprentice. Charging on a per smoke alarm basis for installation is just straight up gouging.

These "contracts" or "subscriptions" are also not a legal requirement and never have been - your PM, or you, can simply push the test button and poke a vacuum around the alarm during the pre-entry inspection to meet the legal requirements. Some of these companies do replace your alarms for free if they fail though which you may decide is worth it. Your agency may also have a policy of keeping certificates or some such and require one of these services.

ozwanderlust likes this.
  18. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

I think the 10yr lithium battery alarm (no 240V power) is the best option as you can install them yourself. You have to replace smoke alarms every ten years anyway so why go hard wired and pay the extra expense of an electrician.
    You pair them via RF by selecting one unit as the master press the button 3 times then doing the same to each slave unit - very simple like adding a new remote to a garage door.

gman65 likes this.
  19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Our smoke alarm provider just released a May special installing Clipsal hard-wired OR bluetooth for $99 an alarm...!

I'd say we're coming towards the bottom of the price cycle, I'm hoping to get the majority of my clients on board in the later half of this year. It'll be interesting to see when everyone does start to jump on board next year and suck up supply- early? mid? eofy?

20. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

That's a good price Tom. I have seen cheaper equivalents for $60 each but then they have to be installed. They are 433.42MHz RF as bluetooth doesn't have the range.