QLD new smoke alarm legislation with asbestos walls

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by trp35, 1st Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. trp35

trp35 Well-Known Member

I have two IP's in Ipswich, both have asbestos walls (and I think ceilings). I was wondering how big of a job would it be to upgrade to the required interconnected smoke alarms with this?

Changes to Queensland's smoke alarm legislation | About Queensland and its government | Queensland Government

Both houses have 3 bedrooms, so will require 4 smoke alarms per house (one required in hallway too). Has anyone had any experience in upgrading their existing systems to comply? I'm assuming the upgrade will require a lot of holes in walls, so it might be better to remove the asbestos entirely. Both houses are nothing special, I've bought them for the land so I don't want to spend any more on house improvements then I need to.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Smoke detectors are fitted to the ceiling.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It was mentioned the ceilings may also be asbestos. If so, I’d see if you can get an answer from one of the smoke alarm companies about how they deal with installing detectors when they find asbestos ceilings.

kierank likes this.
  4. trp35

trp35 Well-Known Member

I'd say most smoke alarms I've seen are fitted to walls. That way if they go off they're easier to turn off. Either way it'll be breaking the asbestos

5. trp35

trp35 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply I'll do that

6. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Ideally they should be fitted on the ceiling and away from dead air locations, ie more than 30 cm from corners and drafty areas etc.
    Certain brands are not recommended for wall fitment.
    In apartments with concrete slabs, sometimes wall fitted smoke alarms are fitted.