QLD Land Tax

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Jmillar, 1st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I now own 7 properties in QLD (2 townhouses, 5 houses). I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to check what my total taxable value is for my properties?

I think council rates may show taxable values (?) but most of my council rates go to my PMs, and I haven't received rates for some of my new properties yet... Is there another way to check?

Also, from my quick research, it looks like the threshold for individuals is $600k, and trusts are $350k. Does this mean I can have $600k worth in my personal name and then 2 trusts with $350k worth in each, and not pay any land tax at all? (will confirm with my accountant, just want some general advice)

Cheers

2. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

A paid QVAS search should provide the current valuation, otherwise if you or someone you know has access to RP Data this also usually shows it. You can also enrol to have your annual valuations sent to you by email: 2016 annual land valuations | Environment, land and water | Queensland Government.

I'm pretty sure you're correct on the threshold point and using trusts but I'll let a tax expert confirm.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes each trust can get a tax threshold - but not if they are identical trusts.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.