QLD - Government to build 3000 new housing commission homes in Logan

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by gman65, 7th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Nearly $1 billion pledged to build low-cost homes in Logan over 20 years

2400 jobs apparently.. Sure to have an impact on the area one way or another -- good / bad?

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Something similar was promised by the last LNP Government; that got canned by this Labor Government.

It is my bet that this initiative will be canned by the next LNP Government :) :).

3. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

The most interesting part I take out of it is this quote: "Mr de Brenni said Logan’s population would reach half a million people in 2036 and without government action, a housing crisis could be imminent."

A few thousand housing commission homes won't make much of a dent in that, I think that kind of growth forecast is encouraging for Logan as a good investment location.

4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Cements Logan as SEQ's infamous housing commission zone.
    I think it is good to mix up the PH a bit. Sprinkle it around.

5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Isn't it the reverse? there are housing commission everywhere but normally house prices rises and rent rises when the ex-housing commissions are sold privately, new build + subdivisions occur, new demographics move in with higher income, new infrastructure coming in. As with housing commission houses, the rents are set - and prices are fixed

3000 single dwelling houses is actually quite a lot.

Starlite likes this.
  6. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Agree @Whitecat , fortunately they also do inner city public housing too, decent number through Spring Hill, Paddington, New Farm, Fortitude Valley, Kelvin Grove etc, so good representation on that inner North Brisbane region.;)

kierank likes this.
  7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Exactly. That was precisely planned to integrate scatterings of public housing into the blue ship inner northern suburbs due to the low crime, responsible, peaceful demographic. Clean, healthy, safe suburbs like the inner North can take some public housing as it won't make too much difference. And that is what really characterises the inner North. Sophisticated, a mix of old money and successful young professionals and peaceful families but with a lovely social conscience.
    An additional 3000 in Logan adds to the thousands of disadvantaged already living there and doesn't create any sort of balanced social mix.

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

This announcement is simply replacing the major Logan social housing project Labor recently cancelled.
    Marg

9. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

I think it also depends a lot on "where" in Logan.... Logan is quite large and there are some very under developed areas which they are trying spruice up so to speak...