Putting vinyl timber planks on tiles

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Kgrinvest, 30th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kgrinvest

Kgrinvest Member

Continuing from my last thread and getting clearer on what to do.

With the kitchen reno a wall was removed which has left 6 tiles to be replaced. They are discontinued now and I am thinking of laying vinyl plank locking flooring, because polished tiles are horrible and dangerous to have in wet areas like the kitchen. Plus it's like walking on concrete and so hard underfoot.

I have seen it placed on tiles and wonder if anyone has done this or if I should really pull up all the tiles and the lay on concrete.

The entire main rooms are all tiled so it's a lot of tiles.

I'd pull up all the tiles myself and probably lay the planks myself too.

Attached Files:

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

What other areas/rooms does this join to? Will the height of the planks laid on top of the tiles work with door frames and other rooms?

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

You may well be able to find the titles in a second hand building supply yard,because if you jack-hammer that floor back to the slab it's going to be a lot of hard work..

4. Kgrinvest

Kgrinvest Member

It joins to all rooms and the only rooms it would pose an issue is the bedrooms as the carpets are against the tiles already.

Doors externally and bathroom are all fine

5. Kgrinvest

Kgrinvest Member

I haven't so far.

I'd have to do it by hand too. Jackhammer would scare the crap out of all our animals and the dust would go through the entire house. So it would be a slow process.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Patch the floor with a tile of the same thickness then lay the vinyl over the top. If the tiles are to be removed, you'll need to grind off any dags & use floor levelling compound.

housechopper2 and Kgrinvest like this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I imagine it would be far easier to make some kind of feature on the kitchen floor by using different types of tiles in the space, removing a few other kitchen tiles to create an artwork or a smaller white centrepiece. Then you can paint a non-slip coating over the other existing tiles. Removing an entire house full of tiles by hand seems absurd. Get a few rugs.

8. Kgrinvest

Kgrinvest Member

I am thinking that using a filler in the space left to bring it up to the same level as the floor and then laying vinyl planks on top will be the go. The non slip coating is only non slip when it's wet, does not cover how slippery they are when dry too.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Better off filling with a cut tile, there is the likelihood that there may be some shrinkage in the filler and you will get a noticable dip in the vinyl flooring once you start walking on it.