Purchasing an off-market property in a ex govt area

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by discern, 25th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. discern

discern Member

I've been looking at a few properties around Heidelberg West as a FHB and don't actually mind the area, depending on the street haha. Inspected one that sold for bit north of the budget, however have been in contact with the agent who has advised they have taken keys of an off-market property and offering to have a look etc.

Only issue is the property being an ex-comission (as many in the area) is a concrete type construction. It needs the usual cosmetic work from what I've seen and is typical of most I've seen around there. I know brick would be preferable, but are these still liveable or not worth the hassle? I am fine to DIY most of the cosmetic stuff, but most of what I read regarding the concrete construction isn't great.

Any feedback or other tips to be wary of aside usual due dilligence is much appreciated!

2. Paul Mete

Paul Mete Well-Known Member

We love this area for development.

Heidelberg West has a lot going for it as it is only 11km from the city and has very good bus links.
    Northland and the hospitals are near by and roads are good.

We suggest you buy a full block (big site) if you can as these sites will only go up in value. Also, you could look at a development yourself as a way of up-sizing later when you are ready.

If the site is small then it was most likely already developed and you are effectively buying a unit. If this is the case make sure you are not paying overs as the price should be considerably less than most comparable sites.

We are about to start a three unit development in Morotai Street pulling down the old commission home. Our client purchased it and lived there for a while whilst we got the permits through.