Purchase now vs waiting

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Niche, 19th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Niche

    Niche Member

    Joined:
    6th Jun, 2019
    Posts:
    10
    Location:
    Jesmond
    Hi all,

    This is my first post and I am optimistic that I can get some useful insight on ideas for my next investment step.

    I am currently living in my PPR with my partner and we are looking to purchase a new PPR in around 3-5 years based on kids and we will keep the current property for investment. We currently have a monthly surplus of around 2k, just under 50k in savings and borrowing capacity of around 400k. My question is, is it realistic to try and purchase an investment property now and have a deposit ready to go in 3 years confidently? My partner is a bit more hesitant on investing so I would like to be confident and possibly a bit conservative with my numbers so she is also happy with the decision.

    Also as a follow up, my current PPR is just in my name and my partner "rents" off me (nothing official as we plan to have this in joint names in future. Am i better off viewing this as her paying off the loan or should I claim part of my PPR as an investment property?

    Looking forward to hearing your responses!!
     
  2. Trainee

    Trainee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    24th May, 2017
    Posts:
    2,062
    Location:
    Australia
    You tell us. How much deposit do you need in 5 years for a ppor? In 3 years you might have another 75k. Also look at your borrowing capacity. Will the bank lend you enough for 2 ips and a ppor?
     
  3. Trainee

    Trainee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    24th May, 2017
    Posts:
    2,062
    Location:
    Australia
    Your partner lives with you and you have kids. Hard to convince anyone that she rents off you? Are you claiming the rent as income?

    Her paying the loan has no meaning.

    Question you may not know to ask, do you have an offset or are you actually paying down the loan?
     
  4. Morgs

    Morgs Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    7th Dec, 2017
    Posts:
    381
    Location:
    Sydney NSW
    Welcome to the forum :)

    A few quick thoughts from me:
    1) If you're converting PPOR to INV you need to be mindful of how you structure your finances and seek specific tax advice. E.g. Would it be beneficial to be in a IO OO product at the moment given future plans?
    2) With your figures you should validate this through a broker and use them to help you with your next move. E.g. Do you have equity in your current OO you can use? What LMI is applicable at different LVR%?
    3) You most definitely need tax advice on claiming part of your PPOR and renting it out- I suspect this may not be favorable.
     
  5. Fargo

    Fargo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    23rd Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    689
    Location:
    Vic
    If you want to invest in property for less than 10 years you might want to consider investing in a REIT, If you want some leverage maybe you could use a margin or equity loan. It may capture the upside, increase your savings,. no hassles with agents, tenants, banks, water , councils, fire alarms, neighbors. toilets, vacancies gardens gutters, reduce expenses, fees commisions taxes and transaction costs. Just click a button and have experts doing the investing, get some diversity be able to DCA with with regular perhaps quarterly top ups. And most importantly have liquidity, just click a button again and be able to pounce anytime an opportunity arrives.
     
  6. Niche

    Niche Member

    Joined:
    6th Jun, 2019
    Posts:
    10
    Location:
    Jesmond
    We don't have kids and she has only been living here around 1 year.

    No I have not declared her rent as income.

    Yes all the money is in an offset account, I only pay minimum to the loan with the possibility to change it to IO when I get below 80% LVR so I can refinance free of LMI.
     
  7. Niche

    Niche Member

    Joined:
    6th Jun, 2019
    Posts:
    10
    Location:
    Jesmond

    Thanks :)

    1) I am planning on going to IO OO however I have the dilemma that my LVR is currently above 80% and paying LMI once was bad enough let alone twice
    2) I have spoken to a broker however I am just trying to get as many different views as possible. I don't have a lot of equity, maybe like 10K until I start getting in to high LMI territory
    3) I figured that was the case and do plan to speak to an accountant but thank you!!
     
    Morgs likes this.
  8. Niche

    Niche Member

    Joined:
    6th Jun, 2019
    Posts:
    10
    Location:
    Jesmond
    Fair point.

    75k would definitely be enough of a deposit for the area we are looking to move to but yeah my concern is how drastically an IP can effect borrowing capacity (even if it is positively geared)
     
  9. Niche

    Niche Member

    Joined:
    6th Jun, 2019
    Posts:
    10
    Location:
    Jesmond
    I do plan on having a buy and hold strategy for all my investment properties but that is still something interesting to look in to, thank you!
     
  10. Morgs

    Morgs Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    7th Dec, 2017
    Posts:
    381
    Location:
    Sydney NSW
    Excellent - then I think the short term focus is clear (no advice) reduce leverage/debt as quickly as possible and open up future opportunities :)