Health & Family PropertyChat "Biggest Loser" Challenge

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 5th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

My MO exactly!!!

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at the difference between people that are otherwise successful in the investing field, but don't have much time devoted to their health. What's really important?

158, mrdobalina and Joynz like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

are you trying to stir the pot....LOL money of course:p

what is it 2 out of 3 are obese in Oz, some are bound to be successful investors and some are also bound to be divorced those stats are pretty much out there

Last edited: 11th Jun, 2016
    Azazel likes this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Nah, money of course.
    But what use is it if you die of a heart attack?

MTR likes this.
  5. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Independent 14 point skin fold tests as a measure of progress and the mirror is all a physique guy cares about. Feathering / striations on muscle groups is stupidly low body fat.

Your correct in saying that a dexa scan will show up a higher reading than skin folds.
    However you'll never find a picture of a contest ready athlete with the caption underneath reading 9% body fat. It's not extreme enough to depict the level of commitment required.

Try explaining to a moderately overweight female they are 40-50% fat. They just faint.

Dexa scan will be able to calculate fat covering internal organs and correct me if I'm wrong.
    But I seem to remember reading once upon a time that the brain is also included ?

6. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

I have no problem with you disagreeing. Its great that you are in tune with your body and are able to go by feel. I don't compete any more and I now do the same.

I can imagine you've been through the trails and errors and seen what works for you and thats a great place to be.

You could also be lucky like myself and have been blessed with decent genes.

I once ate 2 KFC works burgers as a part of a 6500 calorie per day diet for 14 weeks in an attempt to put on weight extra muscle ( read 90% of it body fat )

Some weeks I managed a mere few hundred grams.

Statistics would suggest that with 64% of the population obese currently and with forecast of 80% by 2050 many people are not so blessed and conversely don't have, pardon my language, A f**ken clue about calories.

Going off that we could even be considered outliers.

158 likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

After fasting, I found I had better appetite control. But mine was 24 hours, not 48 hours.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be curious to know who is counting calories. I've been 58kg since November(ish), up or down half a kilo or so in that time. But that is 1.5kg heavier than when I initially lost weight the year before that, using Optifast (because nothing else was working - so VLCD at least did work).

I'd kept to 56.5kg(ish) for well over a year when suddenly, with no change to anything, I just put on 1.5kg in a week, and it has stayed there.

I record everything on the FatSecret app and home computer (linked). Sometimes I miss a meal or a day but there is enough recording to know that I'm eating an average 990 calories each day. I eat good food, might have a bit of chocolate or something sweet if I want it, but I record it all.

Obviously if we go out for lunch and each something that isn't easy to record, I try my best and I always overestimate what I've eaten rather than underestimate.

Using the other site The Lose Weight Diet I should be aiming to eat 500 calories less than the following -

Sedentary - 1524
    Lightly active - 1746

So I will say I'm sedentary, then even sitting on a couch all day and only eating 990 calories I "should" lose weight. But at less than that daily average calorie intake I'm staying stable at what I weigh now.

If I say I'm lightly active then at 1246 calories I "should" lose weight. Looking at my recorded intake, when I eat too much, I'm still only eating about 1500 per day. And those days are not common for me. Clearly, if my average is 990 then some days I'm eating less. I'm never going to bed hungry though.

According to the site, I should be able to eat those calories above and not put on weight. I'm eating the suggested calorie deficit just to stop putting on more weight. That site does suggest if the weight isn't shifting with 500 calorie deficit from the figures, that I take off another 100 calories.

I'm going to try that this week. I'd rather eat good food and record it than start Optifast again. I feel like I should be able to do this myself. I'm avoiding white bread, potato (but will have some if I really want, and count it all).

I'm happy to put out a typical day's food if that helps me understand why I cannot lose these few kilos. I think I'm just going to have to be careful for the rest of my days, unless I am happy to just get fatter and fatter. (I'm not fat now, but I am heavier than I'm comfortable with).

So, what is wrong with me? My daily average for the month is 980 calories. But I'm NOT losing weight. I'm exercising. Not a lot, but HIIT for 10 minutes on an elliptical (and according to Dr Mosely, that is enough for general fitness) and lifting light weights. We walk a few times a week at a decent pace.

I tried the 5/2 diet and that didn't work at all, even with two 500 calorie days per week, and I didn't lash out on the other days either. His book suggests those who eat what they like on the five days did better than those who calorie counted those days. Everyone on the forum who said the 5/2 diet didn't work were women in their mid 50s.

Is this just menopause?

9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@wylie my noob guess would be
    - water retention
    - thyroid issues
    - you replaced the fat with muscle, so no weight loss. Any changes on body measurements?

10. wylie

@EN710 I did have thyroid checked last doctor visit. I am drinking two litres of filtered water daily but don't think I'm retaining. I'm not sure how to tell?

I don't have much muscle and no change in body measurements since the shrinking overall I had when initially losing the 9 kilos I did lose 18 months ago.

It shouldn't be this hard, should it? :(

11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Bloating and sluggish is my usual tell tale :(

Hard it is... My measurement now haven't move much from several years ago, I'm not trying to lose weight so that's ok, but seems like there's a wall I can't get pass. I guess that's why I no longer use scales, stress me out. I'm taking DEXA scan on Wednesday for body compositions, so maybe that'll tell me what I'm made off and what can be curbed :-/

12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

When are the updates rolling in? Mine will have to be deferred to tomorrow

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Is it meant to be Monday anyway?

158 likes this.
  14. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Wylie if you've ever had any large fluctuations it can really mess with your BMR. Thanks to a few run ins with anorexia when I was younger mine is approximately that of someone 30 years older than me. Can make it hard to shift fat.

15. wylie

I have fluctuated since my early 20s from about 48kg to probably 55kg after baby number two and then crept up to 60 (shock, horror and... do something NOW!). Those baby years were hard with no time to exercise, tired all the time, washing, cooking, blah, blah (anyone who has been there will understand). When my mother and father both passed away, I think I put on weight. I know I sat in a hospital for nearly four months, just sitting in uncomfortable chairs and the weight just crept on without me really doing much about it. When I hit 60kg (again) I was horrified (again), but it crept to 65 before I did Optifast. I'd tried other things, and tried very hard, but nothing worked except VLCD.

I'm just really annoyed that now it seems my calorie intake happy "should" see me losing, but I'm just treading water at that intake.

So I guess that, yes, I've fluctuated over the past 30 years and I guess that means I'm a yoyo dieter. I wouldn't have called myself that, and thought a yoyo dieter would have fluctuated from tiny to very big, and back, and again and again.

I guess I'm really having to face I may have stuffed up my BMR. I wonder how many women or men don't ever put on weight, take it off etc. Everyone seems to be dieting at some time.

Is there a fix? I really don't want to have to eat like a bird and watch what I eat for the rest of my life, but I'd rather be aware and watch my weight closely than be uncomfortable like I am even at this weight. When I was 65kg I was so miserable. It permeated my every waking moment (or so it seemed).

158 likes this.
  16. wylie

I thought it was this morning. I had put on weight over the week and by this morning I was back to starting weight, but tonight we had visitors and I've overeaten. Bugger!

Tomorrow isn't likely to be good news on the scales.

17. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Great thread. Good luck everyone!

My mate put on 20kgs last year working FIFO. I convinced him to sign up for the Melbourne Marathon with me in 5 months time. Hopefully that will help him lose some weight :)

Bayview and 158 like this.
  18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm presuming that this morning is update time. I've just jumped on the scales and am surprised to see that I lost a small amount while on holidays. That was a surprise as I ate a lot while I was away. Large cooked breakfasts everyday, which I don't normally have. Lots of bacon, omelettes & hash browns, even pastries. This was all at the buffet at the various hotels. Cooked chinese lunches & dinners at different restaurants every day. Mind you.....I'm not a fan of rice, so didn't eat a lot of it....and I didn't really eat a lot of the dishes and mostly filled up on cauliflower, bok choy and cabbage. They were my safe dishes. Then at a couple of airports we grabbed Maccas, because we were craving some 'normal' food, even though we don't normally eat Maccas.

Anyway....enough. My weigh in is at 78.5kg

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I think I would be physically sick if I ate like that.

20. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Kicked the steel toe capped work boots off this morning, emptied the keys out of my pockets and jumped on the talking scale at work, other than saying "one at time", it recorded 105.4kg

wylie likes this.