Property Observer-rents in 2019

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Dean Collins, 11th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Landlords will need to be ultra-realistic with the rents they set: Douglas Driscoll's 2019 property forecast

I just don't see it.

We increased rents on our 4 Sydney IP's an average of 2.1% in 2018.

I know its anecdotal and only one landlord but the stories about rents crashing just dont add up based on discussions i've had with other landlords APART from highrise boxes that were overpriced to begin with, seems lots of competition from new buildings for tenants but anything built pre 1990 red brick apartments in Carlton/Kogarah or inner west....plenty of demand.

Thoughts?

2. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Wait till a full year of contract renewals go through. Some locations are always in more demand than the rest.

Know a few investors in Western Sydney that had to revise rent down between 3% to 6% from the peak. The 6% is for a near new property so it was fetching top dollar during the peak so no surprise there.

3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Mine had primarily stayed flat at renewals this year

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

We have a Greens Senator in QLD floating a bill for max 1 % increases per annum.

Be happy :)

ta

rolf

Phineas likes this.
  5. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Rent control , its inevitable....

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

From my observations in Sydney (in general), the rental market is getting worse. I thought it was bad last month, but is even bleaker this month. Bottomline: keep your tenants in situ and happy at all cost.

Brisbane is tightening slightly.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.