Open Property Listings?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Simon Hampel, 25th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you think a property listing function might be useful on PropertyChat?

Poll closed 25th Jul, 2015.
  1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

In my original business plan for PropertyChat, I considered the idea of adding a property listings section to this site where people could list properties for sale (either FSBO or linking to a property marketed elsewhere by an agent) - obviously for property targeted at the investor market.

It wouldn't be a free-for-all, there would likely be a small cost to list a property (or perhaps free for premium members?) - haven't decided on the exact model yet.

It would be a dedicated section of the site, so listings won't appear as regular threads and clutter up the forums.

It's not something that will get built in the short term - quite a lot of work involved to get it set up in a useful way.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Chrispy and oracle like this.
  2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea - to offer it and to charge for it.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Very good idea,and something that could be built on in a way with a good revenue growth rate
    that could happen very quickly,good luck..

4. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    Sounds a worthy plan Sim..

5. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

I like the idea Sim.. ;)

6. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Go for it Sim!

Cheers,
    Oracle.

7. KMD

KMD Well-Known Member

Sounds great Sim.

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Sounds good - especially if it appears in a dedicated section.

Cheers

Jamie

9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Good idea. Query - are there any regulatory issues you need to navigate?

10. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I like the idea. If people are going to have to pay for it, then it needs to be a place to list the property, not necessarily a place for members to critique the property.

The "Caveat Emptor" section on Somersoft wasn't a bad idea, but any property listed on there immediately received feedback from the point of view of the potential investor. Essentially the purchaser (investor) wants to buy the property for as little as possible; is there anyone here that doesn't want a bargain? Certainly some feedback might be valid, but the objective wasn't to get the highest price for the property.

If people have to pay to list their property, then they have a reasonable expectation for their interests to be represented, which is to sell the property for the best possible price. The very nature of this community is in conflict with this.

The idea of listing properties here for a quick sale and to give members assess to sales before they're listed in the wider market is a good thing, but feedback needs to be restricted, moderated or simply not allowed, to appropriately represent the interests of the person paying for the listing, which would probably be the seller.

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2015
    bob shovel, Beelzebub and devank like this.
  11. Banjorellie

Banjorellie Member

This seems fair - I think if you paid a fee to make a listing you would want to avoid people commenting on your property for whatever reason which could artificially affect the price (not always for the better :eek: ). You could always allow private messaging for the post.

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Agree - Caveat Emptor on Somersoft was a very different approach and was never intended to be somewhere for people to list properties for sale - indeed, if there was no discussion about the deal, the post was actually against the forum rules.

I'm more looking at a more traditional listing service - perhaps with "likes" as the only real feedback mechanism.

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.
  13. Gaby

Gaby Well-Known Member

Yes sounds like a good idea, can give other members a heads up and help out the seller at the same time (Y)

14. devank

devank Well-Known Member

That is what exactly I was thinking but didn't know how to put it in a diplomatic language.
    Everyone here would look for 'value'. If it is a good value then not many investors sell them. If I'm selling, I want to sell a property then I want to sell to a person who would buy with their emotion not with their brain :)
    Most likely OTP or H&L packages will be marketed. Not sure if it would lead to some sort of 'conflict of interest' down the line.

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2015
  15. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

A real estate section would be great. Not for comment but simply for sale or lease. We pay to advertise elsewhere so why not include it here now that we can.

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't like it to be a full on real estate listing service though, used by agents to list heaps of properties. Although that would be fine for the business in the short term, it would lead to a cluttered section full of listings nobody reads. Perhaps a quota for a user would limit this.