Property Investors Council of Australia WA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ben Green, 8th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ben Green

Ben Green New Member

Dear Members,

I would to introduce myself on this forum. I am a property investor in Perth and the Chair of Property Investors Council of Australia WA perty Investors Council of Australia WA.

PICA was established to give property investors a voice to Governments and the regulators. It's a not-for-profit association run by fellow property investors for the interests and benefits of property investors.

Currently property investors are getting a rough deal in new legislation changes sweeping the country in terms of Tenancy reforms. This is possible because there is no one representing the property investor, only groups representing the tenants. PICA will be representing property investors in each state moving forward.

If we don't have a strong and united voice against these changes then there will be fewer property investors going forward. Fewer individuals and families trying to provide financial independence for themselves and their families. PICA is about ensuring both sides of the debate are heard and we are no longer being taken advantage of, given we play an important role of housing so many Australians.

PICA will now be more active in WA going forward. It is a crucial time in WA as the Residential Tenancy Act 1987 is currently being reviewed and PICA WA want to make sure it is fair on both sides to give property investors a fair go. If you look at the (approved) changes in the Victoria Residential Tenancy Act there are 130 plus changes with some very undesirable items that give a lot of power to the tenants. There is no doubt a lot of information on the internet about these changes so please take a look or go on the PICA website as there is some information there too or The Property Couch Podcast.

Recently PICA WA has met with DMIRS Consumer Protection and REIWA to discuss the RTA reform and we have an event (this) Wednesday the 11th September on the RTA reform.

PICA WA - Meet-up - 6.30pm 11 September 2019

PICA is quite different to other property groups as the prime purpose is to advocate for property investors. So you can be a member of property chat groups such as this while PICA is busy advocating for you so that you get a fair go. That is why the cost of membership is low. We need numbers to be effective.

To learn more about PICA - visit www.pica.asn.au

I look forward to learning more on Property Chat.

Ben Green

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

What have consumer protection said so far about the review?

I didn't think they were anywhere close to even having a reform agenda.

3. Ben Green

Ben Green New Member

We have been advised the reform will be a lengthy process as you may expect. But it is important to get in early. Consumer Protection are starting to engage stakeholders now.

charttv likes this.
  4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Great stuff, very important work. Would not want some of the wacky clauses that have been worked into the new NSW & Vic legislation to find their way to WA. I personally think the current act works quite well (having been on both tenant and landlord side myself) and don't see a need for any major change. A few tweaks here and there are warranted but there is a big risk the review process gets captured by special interest groups with an agenda against property owners.

charttv and KateSydney like this.
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Full disclosure - I've been part of some of the legal organisations and networks consulted on tenancy reform in WA for around the last 8 years or so. Some of my own proposals actually made it into the last round of amendments too.

The problem is that I've never seen any actually realistic or reasonable submissions from pro-landlord groups. Its hard to have any credibility on a law reform submission when it doesn't seem like the submitter doesn't even have a good understanding of residential tenancy law as it currently stands. So hopefully that's something you guys can work on.

Anyway I've registered and will come down and might even possibly be able to help the cause. Hopefully its productive.

Westminster and Perthguy like this.