Property investing unethical?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Rekke, 29th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rekke

Rekke Well-Known Member

I was scrolling through my feed and saw a sponsored advertisement for a certain property investor and his 30+ property portfolio being interviewed on TV. I looked at the comments and the majority of people were very upset / angry at this person for talking about their success in property. The general consensus was property investors are the reason rents, mortgages and living costs are so expensive.

This has got me thinking now... how ethical is property investing? I understand that among other factors, we have a critical housing supply shortages and prices/rents go up based on supply and demand, but what are our thoughts on the ethics of property investing?

What are the positives of property investment to Australia, and what are the ethical concerns we should consider?

2. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

The things about the 30+ property portfolio investors on TV.
    They all buy in the most affordable suburbs seeking the highest yield possible. Chasing the positive cash flow properties.
    Which is exactly the same market as the FHB and lower social economic areas.
    Is it ethically to squeeze the most dollars from the most disadvantage people in the society?
    That is for your own moral compass to answer.

Personally - I stay away from that as I know where my moral compass point.

King Doofus, PeterBr88 and datto like this.
  3. Rekke

Rekke Well-Known Member

Good point, I guess the strategy and selection of where these properties are will have various ethical impacts. What about property investment as a vehicle, irrespective of where these properties are?

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I wish more people felt as you do and purchased only in higher price point properties, pushing up my portfolio even more:oops:

codeninja, PeterBr88, craigc and 4 others like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Fantastic vehicle to grow a bit of wealth to look after your family, provide housing for tenants (gov incapable) and be much less of a drain on gov resources come retirement.

6. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Moving up the ladder should be the aim for property investing.
    I can understand you have to start investing somewhere.. from the bottom, then moving gradually upwards is quiet a natural progression IMO.

What do I know??? I don't have 30+ properties. :oops:

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You run an accommodation business.
    You as the landlord determine the rent.
    If you feel/see the social need, you could charge a lower rent.
    You could specifically advertise and filter out for families who are going through a rough time.
    Or you can be successful, pay more tax, and help the government do more for social housing etc.

The Y-man

Nobody, craigc, kmrr and 6 others like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The rental property market works on simple supply and demand.

If there was no demand for what we have to offer, there wouldn't be a market for it.

My IPs are within walking distance to one of Adelaide's major hospitals and universities. My tenants are not looking to buy property in the area - they are looking for convenient accomodation - typically for a few years while they attend the university - or longer if they are staff.

There is demand for what I have to offer - just like there is in plenty of other areas.

These arguments about ethics seem to assume that everyone wants to own their own property. What about all of the young people just starting out - or the transient people who are not staying for long - or those people who are debt averse - or those people who are unable to borrow money for whatever reason - if there was no rental market, where would these people live?

Many parts of Australia are in a housing crisis right now - with insufficient housing available for people to live in. In many ways this is a failure of the market to provide adequate housing stock - and investors play a very important part of that supply.

I do think there are discussions that need to be had about things like holiday letting - especially Airbnb type properties - but again, it's supply and demand - if there was insufficient demand for this type of short term accomodation, there would be no supply because people would revert to long term accomodation or sell their properties.

What Australia needs right now is a construction boom - dramatically increase the supply of housing around the country. Vacancy rates are far too low in most of the country.

Nobody, craigc, Rugrat and 13 others like this.
  9. Rekke

Rekke Well-Known Member

Well said - I think a lot of the people who fall into the mindset of hating property investors don't quite understand the supply side of the equation. If everybody wanted to own their own home and that was it, not sure who would be building, splitting, subdividing and repurposing homes and creating more supply of dwellings.

The government hasn't done a fantastic job in addressing the supply issues we are facing, so the free market has to make up for some of the shortfalls :)

Rugrat likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Should it?

One of my properties has been rented for more than 22 years by an intellectually disabled women - she has zero capacity to buy her own home. If there wasn't a rental market, where would she live?

When I first left home in regional South Australia to attend university in Adelaide, I had no money buy a property (I was 17 years old!) - so my sister and I rented a unit. If there was no rental market at a price point our parents could afford - where would I have lived?

Indeed, my wife and I bought our first house at the age of 26 - until then, we rented a cheap apartment which suited our needs. If there was no rental market - where would we have lived?

A few years later when I got offered a job in Sydney and we moved here - there was no way we could have afforded to buy a property based on what we had been earning in Adelaide until that point. If there was no rental market - where would we have lived?

What's more - we had no idea how long we were going to live in Sydney - and the transaction costs of buying a property are so high that I'm not sure there is value in buying and then selling again just a few years later. We had no intention of buying a property in Sydney straight away, even if we could have afforded it - at the time I was being offered work all over the world (height of the dot.com boom) and we were seriously considering moving abroad while we were young and had no kids - so buying was not something we wanted to do, even though we were earning good money at that point.

There is a need for rental accomodation at all price points. We provide a service - because there is a demand. If there was no demand - there would be no need to (or value in) providing that service.

Assertions that everyone wants to buy their own house and that investors providing rental properties are stopping them, is ignoring the reality that there is a need for rental properties regardless of what FHOBs want.

Anyone would think there was a purely binary world of owners and investors - and that anyone not yet an owner is living with their parents until they buy their own house :rolleyes:

Property investing is only unethical if you let it be. For the rest of us - we provide a valuable (and ethical!) service to the community because there is a demand for that service.

codeninja, Nobody, sanj and 20 others like this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Imho I think each investor has different goals. Some want to 'conquer the world' and others are happy to buy 1 or 2 to help with retirement. Just depends on the individual.

Re ethics, there is no issue for me re property investing being unethical. There is a need and we supply the need. Sometimes, individuals can be unethical. Thats a different story.

Rugrat, wylie and skater like this.
  12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If you think it's unethical, don't do it. Or do it 'more' ethically. Charge lower than market rent. Rent to people who would usually find it harder to find rentals.

But even if you do that, there'll always be people who hate you.

codeninja, Rugrat, datto and 2 others like this.
  13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Really? I'm one of those who has bought a lot of lower priced housing in areas with high yield and I've NEVER paid more than any FHO would pay. Most of mine have been bought via auction, with me as the only bidder. I fix run down houses that the Housing Department has left vacant, often for well over 12 months, and then place tenants inside, and give them a home.

The fact is that many of the tenants in these areas do not want to buy homes, or do not have the capacity to do so. Even if the homes were half price they still would not buy them.....but they are often the ones to complain that they should be able to buy a house.

If I didn't buy them, and instead FHO's bought, where would those needing to rent live?

Last edited: 29th May, 2022
    Cousinit, craigc, Rugrat and 8 others like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The other thing not explicitly stated here is, we (property investors) SHOULD be compensated for supplying the needs for others, be it for those who don't want a mortgage in lower end areas, those who want higher end homes and we build them and for those who just want to live in a nice suburb without a mortgage and happy to pay rent. We are also setting ourselves up to be less or in some cases totally non reliant on government pension.

We as investors often take on many risks to meet the demand needs of different segments of the market. We absolutely should be compensated well. By hopefully market growth and rental increase over time.

Last edited: 29th May, 2022
    craigc, Rugrat, datto and 3 others like this.
  15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

BTW, I know someone who commented on that same article.

Single woman, who lives at home with her (now) 80+yr old mother, and her teenage son in a 2 bedroom unit in the 'Shire'. I have a checkered past with this person, who I've known for about 40 years now. I don't offer help anymore.

Mother owns the unit, and she's now just waiting until it will be hers. Over the years she has often complained that she can't afford to buy a house and how unfair this is. Now, lets not get the facts in the way of a good story here.

She's a qualified teacher, who refuses to work full time, instead teaches gymnastics part-time.

Back, oh, I don't know how many years ago, I told her to buy something near to where I live. It was very affordable at that time, even with her wages, but she refused because 'I could never live there'. I told her that she didn't even need to live there, and she could rent it out, so that she had a solid asset. I was willing to help and do the negotiations for her.

Fast forward to not that long ago, and she desperately wanted something with three bedrooms for them, but still couldn't afford it, and she wasn't going to sell the mothers' unit. I said that she should rent something with three bedrooms, and in turn they could lease their unit. I showed her the price difference, which wasn't huge, but the response was "I'm not going to pay off someone else's mortgage.

So, now she shares a bedroom with her aging mother.

codeninja, craigc, Rugrat and 6 others like this.
  16. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

I don't think any bank would lend to my centerlink tenants .

codeninja, Nobody, craigc and 5 others like this.
  17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

And yet, the government still tries to sabotage us at every step of the way instead of supplying the facts to those who simply don't understand. All they see is negative gearing.....rich landlords....etc.

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Blatant lies!!!

Many IPs are interest only, so they're not paying a mortgage just the costs for living there.

Rugrat, sash and skater like this.
  19. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I knew this topic would whine up some poster. :rolleyes:
    I am just playing the devil advocate. Bad cop : Good cop. :p

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

All of us here know this.....but the general public don't.