Property Improvement within SMSF

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Lightning, 8th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lightning

Lightning Member

Howdy

I read an article the other day saying that it was possible to make improvements to property held within Super as long as this was not done from borrowed funds.

I was of the understanding that you could not make any improvements regardless of whether the funds were burrowed or not (i.e. from your cash contributions).

Can someone confirm?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes it could be possible

3. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

In relation to a LRBA SMSFR 2012/1 is the ruling - generally best to use cash reserves to iumprove / repair an asset. The ruling provides specific examples, if in doubt use smsf cash. Remember all invoices in the name of the smsf.

Cheers Ivan

Ross Forrester likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There also can be serious issues if the works are performed by a member. eg If a tradie builds a extension it is a higher cost and part of the cost. If member does it its just a materials cost so the enhanced value could be considered a non-concessional contribution for the labour. A breach of s66 which does not allow a fund to acquire an investment from a member, associate or relative. An in-house asset limited to 5% ?

Seek advice.