'Property girl' on the defensive

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Azazel, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I think the whole issue with her seems to be that she didn't fess up to getting help, and "embellished" the Lib party gig.

But yeah; well done to her for having a crack and not being one of the noisy majority of whiners.

2. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

I'm in the camp of cutting her some slack as well. What she's done is still quite impressive relative to her peers notwithstanding her situation and it's not easy being in front of media. I'm sure she exaggerated some things but journalists also like to embellish for their stories.

Northy85 and skater like this.
  3. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

No one is disputing how well she has done, the common dislike here is that this "rags to riches" story has you believe that this girl battled all odds and made something from nothing. She didn't and the story is misleading. It gives false hope to those in lesser situations.

Imagine if you will for a moment that you are a person who has no family ie no one to help you. You are young and inspired by this story, you go to this girl and employ her services, 3 years later you DON'T have $2.4M worth of property but she has your hard earned $$$. Now if she can do it with no help, how come it didn't work for you?

The answer is it can't work because it's not true!!!!!

It really infuriates me when people make money off falsities.

I probably wouldn't care at all about this if the article didn't discuss ie promote her business but it does.

4. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Haha...'hookers and blow'... now that would have been a great article to read.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Highly agree Dan. What we want as consumers of the media is transparency and truth. Yes she did something but it was not as easy as her own marketing made it appear.

This is where I believe people like Steve Keen and Nathan Birch also get themselves into trouble.

You make certain presentations and expect everyone to accept it. This is not how society works. There will always be people who look further than what is being pushed and if there inconsistencies then they will be found.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I think you are over thinking this. Nobody will ever get the same results as someone else because we're all different. We have different income, experience, fears, comfort zones, the list is endless. It's like you saying to me, that someone who starts at the same age as I did, maybe even on the same income (adjusted to inflation) could achieve the same as I have, in the same amount of time, should I start a business mentoring people to achieve success..

The truth is that they won't. They could do better, or they could do worse, but they are not me and will react to situations in a different way.
    I do too, but we all know that the media will change things to suit what they want people to hear. I'm more than happy for everyone to complain about the crappy media, because you don't know what is their spin, and what the girl has told them. Is there any proof that this is all coming from the GIRL and not the MEDIA.

7. Dan Donoghue

You are quite right, no there isn't (I questioned this lightly is a previous post) but the media has to have gotten the information from somewhere. They wouldn't inflate "relief admin worker for the young liberals" to "Policy adviser to Bronwyn Bishop" for fear of backlash, there are some limits to how far the media will go for a story.

And whilst I wouldn't expect the same results, if I were younger and I read this then went to her paying for advice on how I can do it (with my situation being the same as WE ARE LEAD TO BELIEVE hers to be) then I would expect results somewhat similar.

It would be pretty disheartening to pay her your money only to then find out that the bank will not lend you $2.4M over just 3 years and let you leverage yourself to the hilt, I mean if you had saved your pocket money for all those years like this young lady did why wouldn't they?

The key point here is that this story that has been published is what will inspire people to go to her for advice, advice that they PAY for. They will be making a purchase under misinformation. This is not a feel good rags to riches story, this is a large Marketing communication for a start up company.

And whilst I know this is not "Bait marketing", I sort of can't get this nagging feeling out of my mind that there are similarities.

8. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Hi Dan

I agree with skater that you're over thinking this .

My experience with the media in anything that I have any knowledge is that ,mthe media is not interested in the truth . They are interested in a story and that is what they presented .

What you seem to want is a royal commission into her , where every aspect of her story is forensically analysed and if there is any omission / error / oversight or what every people want to call it , is judged .

The reality is that no one here is in a position to know the truth and reality in this story . Very few people on this forum are subject to that degree of oversight and the reality is that most people don't know the truth of many things posted here .

The reality is it doesn't matter .

People come here for ideas , and then it's up to the individual to make their own decisions on what they do . If people are foolish enough to believe that what the media or people say on this forum is 100% accurate , well ... then their foolish .

I'm don't disputing your right ( or mine :cool: ) to challenge what someone says and question things on the forum , but the reality is in this situation she hasn't said anything , and we're relying on media reporting in this situation and I think that is the difference in the situation

If she had come on the forum and said what's been reported , different ball game .

Cliff

9. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Actually she did "fess up", only those without a decent grasp of the English language missed this.

10. sanj

Pay her what money? She's a mortgage broker.

Also, you're assuming that she would not be competent and people wouldn't get their money worth, got any proof of that?

Your hysteria is misplaced imo

11. Dan Donoghue

Now Miss Brennan has launched her own business to help others do what she’s done, offering everything from financial planning to accounting and mortgages.

She is not just a mortgage broker sanj.

You may call it Hysteria but I call it as I see it, I wouldn't do business with anyone who feels the need to overstate accomplishments, if you are truly good at what you do, you don't need to lie about it.

Not everyone has the foresight to do research, I know a LOT of people who got involved with one of those rental guarantee places many years ago, they made no money over a 7 year period and all sold for no profit (my brother included). These are the people who fall into the traps of making financial decisions based on hearsay and pumped up media posts.

Whilst I would never fall into that category myself, it doesn't stop me feeling for those that would.

12. sanj

Fair enough. My point stands though that not enough is known to judge whether or not she is kosher.

Care to point out the lies?

skater likes this.
  13. Bayview

Ah, fair enough.

I must admit; I didn't read the whole article - just a few lines at the beginning.

I was just going by what has been said on this thread about it all.

14. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I agree with you Dan, her story appears to be her marketing point of difference. Anyone could post on this forum stating they have done xxxxx and no one really cares but if you are offering business services expect to have you credibility and experience assessed carefully.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  15. Bayview

I think everyone on the planet does this....resumes would be good example.

16. Dan Donoghue

This has been discussed over and over and over in this thread so I will keep it as a summary:
    Policy Adviser to Bronwyn Bishop = Relief admin for the young liberals
    Didn't have any help = had lots of (and still is getting) help ie living with Mum 50K left to her from grandparents.

For the second one, here is the EXACT quote:

And while Miss Brennan admits her family is wealthy, she said she never received any financial help.

I have disclaimered pretty much most of my posts with "not taking away from what she has done blah blah but question the reality of what we are told", that still stands.

My point is and always has been, we are given a story that is nothing more than a marketing campaign for a start up business but is based on over inflated and modified facts. It is not fair to market to people that she did this without help and she has a business that can help others do what she’s done, offering everything from financial planning to accounting and mortgages.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I think it is now quite clear to you all that i am quite opinionated when I am passionate about something ;). I do completely respect where you are coming from and your opinion but it will not make my view change. I don't like seeing people pretend to be something they are not for financial gain off other people who may not know to question what they are told, it's preying on some peoples naivete.

I don't. My Resume is 100% true and accurate, I have my job because of my ability and because I can give countless examples of how I am very good at it.

Bayview likes this.
  17. Bayview

I should clarify;

Many are 100% truthful in the submitted content; but some of the truth left out.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Maybe you're under thinking it.
    You replied that you agreed that "Most of the posts come across as small minded jealousy ..."
    "Most" is a bit of porkie. An exaggerated generalisation at best.
    "Most" of the 'for' posts have been quite negative, and bring in references to other forums where she's received some harsh criticism.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

.[/QUOTE]
    I don't like seeing people pretend to be something they are not for financial gain off other people who may not know to question what they are told, it's preying on some peoples naivete.
    .[/QUOTE]
    That's been going on from the time they started building the pyramids, just back then they did not know the difference between a worker and a slave,people these days are fully aware of the difference
    of a real life without the constant need to compete against other higher up the ladder..

20. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Reminds me of this video, you'll understand if you've heard the story of the crabs in the bucket.

Steven Ryan likes this.