Property backing to a golf course

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by kanad, 25th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Will you pay a super-premium for a house backing a golf course, in a good school zone, near shops, walking distance to transport, with good street frontage, not on a main road or flood zone, near high tension power lines, under a flight path, clear of easements - I've yet to find one :(

Redom likes this.
  2. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Malabar/Little Bay? School may not be so great...and you'll probably have to walk to your car. Haha I've adjusted my expectations with Sydney...you can spend millions and you still have to compromise on something.

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

My ex-mother-in-law lives out at The Vines in the Swan Valley and backs onto The Vines GC. I been out there a fair bit in the past (family visits and to play golf) and was always peaceful and quiet with kangaroos and birds aplenty, and the clubhouse with kids playground and minigolf plus the usual restaurants and drinking outlets. It is a great spot and she wasn't into golf.

craigc likes this.
  4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Managed a house at St Ives which backed onto a golf course - I noticed that all the houses had an extra high wire fence attached to their backyard fence - I presume to stop golf balls causing any problems.

5. sydney sid

sydney sid Well-Known Member

I think backing onto a golf course is a great thing. Sets it apart. Less neighbours and so more privacy. And a nice view. If it's walk to train, sensational. Together, unbeatable, buy it.

6. Pilate's Dog

Pilate's Dog Member

I have worked in the golf industry my whole life, so a couple of things.

Golfers hit the ball way off line... I mean way off line, there's no such thing as a safe house from a golf ball coming into your property. Smashed windows, broken tiles and I've even seen someone get hit in their own backyard. Golf clubs will do everything in their power not to take responsibility for any damage and golfers will run the other way if they know their ball went over the fence.

Noise from greens being mowed. We've had a few problem neighbors even with electric mowers. Greens get mowed early and an electric mower still makes noise when it is dead silent.

Obviously depends on exactly where it is in location to the golf hole, but I'd be getting someone who works in the industry to check it out.

Which course are we talking?

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2021
    Redom and Scott No Mates like this.
  7. KT8

KT8 Member

Golf courses can also be redeveloped.

Bonnieroo likes this.
  8. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I used to be a member of Randwick golf course and when those winds fire up in the afternoons the balls can go anywhere when hit with some force. I remember one of the local tips was to aim for the Anasta's house (when they owned it) as the wind would take the ball into the sea if you aimed straight off the tee.

As for a suburban course, I wouldn't buy next to one. Most have chicken wire fences so while the view is nice, so is the view into your house by every golfer who walks past. And for the afternoon hackers that chop the ball around you could find yourself with a ball screaming toward your place if you live to the left of the fairway.

Redom likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

People hit gold balls anywhere they like so there is no such thing as a "fairway" . They also bounce nicely off any surface incl a car or roof tiles (after they crack) but tend to just go straight through windows. I regulary drive pasta course and its not uncommon to see a few balls in the gutter and once I saw one smack into a car on the bounce

10. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

@datto this sounds so Caddyshack!
    Sacked for ‘mowing the grass’ incorrectly or with the President’s daughter I assume :p:p

datto likes this.
  11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No. lol. The dishes kept piling up in the kitchen. There were 120 guests. That means 120 entre plates, 120 main meal plates, 120 glasses, 120 desert plates etc etc man, that takes time to wash. And it didn't help that one of the kitchen hands kept going outside with his orchy bottle.

craigc likes this.
  12. Colonel Flagg

Colonel Flagg Member

We have lived on Leonay Golf course for 30 years.
    The club pays for any damage to windows / solar panels etc. We have had one window broken from a ricochet in that time.
    Some houses do lack privacy , but I would trade that for not having neighbours behind you any day.
    All of the houses on the course deliberately either have no fence or a wire type see through fence for the views.
    In this suburb , the course backing properties command a premium.

datto likes this.
  13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm aware of this, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.