Property backing to a golf course

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by kanad, 25th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

I saw a property online that looks great and well maintained. The thing is it backs into a golf course, there is a gate on the backyard fence that opens to the golf course. with a picture of electric golf cart in the garage, like its own entry. I don't know much about golf courses, but could this be a problem? I am thinking of like a membership to the club is required, noise from people playing golf etc. The lush green to the back of the house seems picture perfect though.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If you dont know anything about golf, probably why would you look at buying something that backs onto a golf course?

gman65 likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Golfers can be extremely noisy especially around the 19th hole.

They will tee off well before 7.00am 7 days per week.

They can scream out "fore" without notice.

The drinks cart will play "Greensleeves" endlessly when doing the rounds of the course.

Balls will sail frequently over your fence, hitting the roof, windows or anything in the yard eg your car or people.

Watch "Caddyshack" on Netflix to understand the issues that might arise (substitute dropbears for the gofer).

craigc, Lindsay_W, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  4. LP7

LP7 Well-Known Member

I would say it partly depends on the part of the golf course. If you're backing onto a section where balls will frequently come past, then there's likely to be issued caused from stray balls and noise when players come past.

If you back onto it, but in a fairly obscure section or players are unlikely to hit near it, you'll get some noise but generally it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Might even be a bonus depending on how nice the view is.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Most places that I've seen like that come with a membership and are popular with people that like to golf but even those that don't. Generally there is a nice clubhouse where you can go for drinks/dinners and drive to and from in the golf buggy,
    I wouldn't see it as a problem but might be more expensive because of the ammenities it comes with - if it does.

Stoffo likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

qak likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Speaking of amenities - there's plenty of trees. :oops:

8. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I'd love to back on to a golf course. They are not exaclty rowdy places, and there are worse things to have over your back fence than acres of manicured grounds.

I wouldn't worry about noise, the worst you could potentially experience would be stray golf balls but that depends where on the course you are.
    Close to tee is highly unlikely, behind a green is alot more likley, along a fairway your only problem area would be a couple of hundred metres from the tee - more so if the property is on the right hand side of the fairway vs the left.

craigc likes this.
  9. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

I couldn’t agree more .. only thing worse would be a house with ocean views.

Golf balls can kill people and break bones. Just google it!

10. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

The view is great. It seems as if the golf course is extension of your own property, there are houses on either side backing in to the course as well. The house has solar panels that looks not broken so maybe golf balls don't land on the roof.

11. Scott No Mates

Still worth checking with an electrician and again presettlement.

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a golf course next door.

There’s an exclusive estate in Ingleburn NSW which is next to a golf course. It’s got security guard check point entrance and all property owners have a key which opens a gate to the golf course.

it’s even got a club. I actually worked there as a kitchen hand/dishwasher before getting sacked. That’s how I know about the place.

Obviously, there would be some sort of annual levy to cover all the extras one receives for living there but I think it’s well worth it.

bmc likes this.
  13. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

or Glen Alpine (Campbelltown)

this one is owned and operated by Maroondah City Council

Quote:
    Maroondah Council accepts no liability for errant/wayward shots or for any damage caused by such shots. Any damage caused by playing of golf at a Maroondah Leisure venue is your responsibility. All golfers are therefore advised to take particular care with their shots, so as to avoid injury to other people and/or property, both within and outside the course

caveat emptor

datto likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

@datto is reminded that he must control his balls as the club will accept no responsibility.:oops:

craigc and datto like this.
  15. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

The main problem I think you'll find is that you'd be paying a premium for it vs. an identical house one street back which does not front a golf course....

datto likes this.
  16. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

I have a few mates who live on a golf course.
    Things to look out for...
    If its a par 4 or 5, try and not be on the right side around 200 metres from the tees - most golfers tend to slice and you will get balls in your yard or smashing your roof.
    Next to some tee offs (depending on the demographic) you may hear the odd swear word from a wayward drive :)
    Greenside is usually a good spot, esp if the house is 20 metres back.
    Finding a place with an upstairs balcony is great, to enjoy the view

I could go on, but to me it would be a nice spot to live.

craigc likes this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

As a kid I used to collect balls and sell them to the club house. Made a bit of pocket money.

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We've looked at a few properties that back onto Leonay golf course, near Penrith. The one thing that I really didn't like was the lack of privacy in the back yard. One of them in particular, had a beautiful home, but you could see across the green, into the back yards of all the homes on the other side.

19. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Random story below, we have been through something similar.

My wife and I were in the market earlier in the year. We found a home onlooking a golf course. I would have happily paid a very big premium for it given its access to the course - IMO it was worth materially more than most other house in the area given its access. I could also see a big upside in hitting balls in the evening on what would feel like my own green, teaching my little one to play as she grows up, going for walks, watching golfers, etc etc (I play often.

My wife loved the home/views, but wasn't so keen on the course - she was afraid our little one may not be able to play in the yard as much given balls could reach the house on the fly. She was also worried about security risks given people could come into the house directly from the course. As part of DD I played the course to see how the house may get impacted.

Unintentionally, my playing partner hooked his drive straight into the yard of the house. If that ball hit a little child, it would hurt a lot I assume (low risk, but hardly something you want to have in the back of your mind). That basically took us out as bidders. Also from the course hill, you could see the roof of the house and it had a lot of white marks on it. The group ahead of us were playing only a few meters from the house too, which suggested it happened a lot.

The house did trade for a big premium though. Short story is, these homes may trade at a premium given golfer demand, and do your DD on ball flight/security/etc.

20. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

Good story Redom.
    I know at my local course, there are a few holes in particular where sliced drives hit roof's. On one occasion (in a comp playing off the longest tees) , a house got hit and a solar panel busted.
    That house owner tried to sue the club.
    We didn't play off that long tee for several months whilst the club and the neighbour came to some kind of agreement (monetary).
    Position of the house off the tee has to be a major consideration. So looks for places that are not in the firing line.
    If privacy is an issue, find a house that has a backyard which has long grass in between the house and course - and ensure the house has an upstairs balcony to take advantage of views.