Process for buying first home

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by AbleTasMan, 22nd Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AbleTasMan

AbleTasMan Well-Known Member

I couldn't find any info for the others, but Athena has this in their FAQ:
    "No new customers will ever get a better rate than existing customers. If we tempt new customers with a sexy lower rate, we’ll automatically pass it on to our loyal customers on our like-for-like loans. It’s only fair and an Aussie first!"

As to my other question, in your experience would a big 4 bank match these, if I take them to a mortgage broker? Have people been able to get rates < 3% from a bank?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

for your stated need of rate cost first and only, id not bother with a broker. They cant add value to that sort of request.

While there are lenders that will do sub 3 like ABL with offset at sub 3 or STG with a basic , rate only focussed borrowers @ the start are usually much better served with online no advice lenders such as StateCustodians, or Homeloans.com Ubank etc which are funded by well established warehouse funders.

I had a client last week where we spent a fair bit of pro bono work over the last 18 mths or so trying to get them out of a cash flow pickle, which we referred to Homeloans.com, since we knew they would do the deal based on servicing and the 0.04 % interest difference between what we could find, and what homeloans.com could do for the borrower was critical to them.

ta
    rolf

Lindsay_W and significance like this.
  3. AbleTasMan

Great insight @Rolf Latham!!

As far as I've read Tic Toc are also backed by Bendigo and Adelaide Banks.
    Ubank has become a no go for me now seeing they don't do an offset. Thanks for the others, by Homeloans do you mean Homeloans.com.au? just went to the site and it says they are now resimac.com.au.

I’m wondering, could this be a good plan of attack for making sure I get approved straight away:

1 Go to a mortgage broker, have them organize a pre-appoval for me that they know won’t be rejected.

2 Use this pre-approval to put an offer on the unit / buy the unit.

3 At a later date (6-12 months?) refinance with another lender that has a lower rate and similar offerings (offset account / no fees / unlimited extra payments etc).

4. AbleTasMan

Can anyone answer this:
    What’s the best site I can use to do a self credit check that won’t get marked against my credit rating?

5. Rolf Latham

As you haven yet engaged with a broker business you probably dont know how they get paid.

Lenders pay an upfront comm of around .6 to .7% of the loan amount, and around .15 deferred upftont for the lief of the loan, on the outstanding balance.

Using your example this is what would happen

The broker business gets the loan settled. There are costs in doing that which obviously vary, but in our case its around 1850.

say you borrowed 500 k, we would receive say 1950 ex gst.

So we have made a profit of $ 100

You move to lender X 6 mths later

We woud have received a further 375 ex gst in deferred upfront

so now our profit is $ 475 or 26 % profit - which is good

When the loan settles with the new lender, the lender we placed you with will take back all of their upfront commission ( because the loan isnt 1 to 2 yrs old)

$ 475 - $ 1950 = 1475 loss.

The broker business will have paid 1500 or so for that help to you

So IF that is your intention, and you do use a broker, please let them know at the outset

ta
    rolf

significance and Curious2019 like this.
  6. AbleTasMan

Thanks for explaining, I'm in no way looking for the broker to make a loss. Just in the short term looking at the best way I can get a fast approval and then in the long term the best way to get the lowest rate I can and maximize paying the loan off faster.

A few further questions about mortgage brokers:
    1. Generally how are they paid? Do I have to pay them anything out of my own pocket? or are they paid by the bank they recommended me getting the loan with?

2. Once the loan is settled is that the end of the relationship, and I just deal directly with the bank? or do they then manage the loan in some way?

3. If a mortgage broker lodges the application, can I then refinance it myself later on? or do I have to go back to them (what I'm getting at is am I legally obligated to them?).

When you say there are costs in settling the loan ($1850) are these costs you pay, or are they passed onto the buyer?

Also, I can't work out how you got to a $1950 payment from the bank on a $500K loan at 0.6% commission... shouldn't it be $3000?

7. StaticSteve

StaticSteve New Member

St George is doing rates lower than 3% for their basic home loan product.

8. Rolf Latham

9. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Get a copy of your Equifax report , credit checks don't affect your credit score, credit enquiries do

10. AbleTasMan

Thanks, I'll check them out! I didn't realize that so it's a good thing to know.

11. AbleTasMan

Pity that doesn't include an offset account as I'm needing that as part of the loan bundle.

12. AbleTasMan

This is what I'm fearing by going to a broker, I simply want help setting things up and getting a fast approval and that's it really. I'm use to managing my own finances, so don't want to be locked into anything. Do you think that's possible? Like with your GP example, I want to go there and have my cough looked at, but don't want constant checkups... if I need anything further in the future I'll make another GP appointment, or just go to the chemist and sort it out myself.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  13. AbleTasMan

I got the credit report but it doesn't really have anything in it. I thought I was supposed to get a score? The only thing listed in it is my credit card with zeros (meaning credit not overdue) in all the boxes. Is this the same thing banks see, as I can't see how it's used?

14. Rolf Latham

try creditsavvy.com.au

We have found to be close to a mirror of most lenders black box scoring

ta
    rolf

15. Rolf Latham

Many brokers will do this on a fee for service basis.

ta
    rolf

16. AbleTasMan

Thanks I'll give it a look.

17. Rolf Latham

Why ?

ta
    rolf

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia