Problems with getting builders licence

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Brian84, 9th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I will save you the time. It will go like this:

Were your correct?
    Yes i was.

hathro likes this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The guy i spoke to was pretty good but wasn't super helpful with my situation specifically. They just want you to come in with the stuff listed on their website all met , so triple check that.

I know it's a gub organisation but the usual process for a builder be trade, work, cert 4 then licence. So to start the 2 years doesn't seem right

3. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I just don't want to go and waste my time and money then for them to knock me back. Do you think it's worth the money trying for the application without the 2 years. You still have to pay for application even if they knock you back.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, I did the HIA one day info course in Vic which covered what you need to do to get Builder's Licence here. It is not easy as they are wanting to bring back standards into the building industry accreditation process.

In Vic, you need to provide documentation of building projects you have been involved in and pass an interview on your building knowledge with a certifier. You needs SWMS and a bunch of other things.

They'll look at the plans and your project photos and ask about anything that occurs to them about building. It could be regulations around fall away from a building, info about bracing etc.

They are doing this because it used to be 'tick and flick' and the standards really dropped.

It is easier if you are a carpenter (which it sounds like you are).

I went to the info day with a friend who is a qualified brickie with 20 year's experience and a cert 1V in building. He also has 15 years a supervisor on mid to high end building sites. However, he had to go through exactly the same process. It takes most people at a least a year to gather all the evidence. Both HIA and MBs provide info. and orientation days, with folders you can work through.

However, if you already have the evidence and feel confident about your knowledge, then maybe you can sit the Victorian test?

Brian84 likes this.
  5. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

I did brielfy look into this.

2 years paid working for a licensed builder is required (not many criterias to become a builder but this is one)

Have you worked for any licensed builders? From what i remember all jobs over 11k must be done by a licensed builder. Now if you have not worked under a builder but as a contracter for a builder would this count.

Im pretty sure this requirement is required in most states

6. bob shovel

Should be able to tell you over the phone if that's all you need to know.but ring a couple of times to cross check the person you speak with
    Building

Read this page a few times

Brian84 likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Walk into the servicensw shopfront and ask.

Brian84 likes this.
  8. Timmyd02

Timmyd02 Active Member

I would speak to Master Builders association or HIA or who ever is it. They run courses to help people get registered and should be able to help you properly.

I did mine through Master Builders VIC

Brian84 likes this.
  9. Brian84

95% of my work is under a licenced builder but I get contract payments. They don't take into consideration those payments as they want you to be employed on the books under the builder.

10. Brian84

That's what I was thinking of doing.

11. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Might be better to go fair trading

I was not under the impression service nsw had any authority over this

Brian84 likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

All of the services are accessible from Servicefirst

13. Brian84

Service nsw has merged with Medicare, rms and fair trading all in one place now.

14. bob shovel

Your one stop incompetence shop :p

Cactus and Brian84 like this.
  15. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Or should that be incontinence, coz I'm sure they'll give you the $h1ts!!

bob shovel likes this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Not quite - Mediscare & Centrelink are out of the same offices (RMS/OFT/Fishing Licences etc are state, Centrelink/Medicare are Federal). There is no agreements between between state & federal to share premises.

Linky

Brian84 likes this.
  17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Should be named "lack of service", the RTA move for example, used to be around a 5 min wait where I was going for almost anything, the new service NSW centre, well they have lot of staff standing out the front, then you wait, a min of 30 mins for the simple things often 40+, then lic etc now cannot be collected at the same time, they insist on mailing them instead, citing security concerns.

Govt red tape and bureaucracy at it's ever growing best. The true insult is the name !

Brian84 likes this.
  18. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

Carpentry is probably the best trade to have to aid in becoming a building practitioner, but the contract administration, estimating and supervising of ALL trades gives the best base knowledge of all works. I believe the only way this is achieved is to do as they suggested.

Do you genuinely feel that you know how to estimate, quantify/order and supervise every trade and material for a house from an empty block of land to a finished product based on your experience as a carpenter and from a cert IV, along with doing all the documentation and contract work for this?

If you do, enquire about sitting the 3 exams for your licence. Unsure if they do this in NSW, but other states offer it if you can prove you have been carrying out and supervising building works for a minimum of 5 years.

Edit- Found what I was mentioning, set 4 on this link. I used set 1.

Building practitioner registration

Last edited: 10th Oct, 2016
  19. bob shovel

Let me know when you get your lic so i can work with you for two years! :D

bdydrp and Brian84 like this.
  20. Brian84

We don't have the exam thing here as far as I am aware. We had to do that for part of the course. Estimate the materials and labour for a designated project.

I could do it if need be but that's what the software programs are for. Upload your set of plans and it runs through every step for materials and labour. It costs a bit but you won't miss anything when getting the tender ready.

Also I could send out plans for trades to quote.