Problems with getting builders licence

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Brian84, 9th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I have recently just completed the cert iv in building and construction to be able to obtain my builders licence through fair trading nsw.

I have just been informed that I now have to complete 2 years on the books under a licenced builder to complete every aspect of residential building. Even though I have been doing carpentry for 16years and know the process of construction they now want to see proof from a builder.

I spoke to my teacher of the cert iv course and he said he didn't think we had to do the 2 years experience as I have cert iii in carpentry or bricklaying.

Does anyone have any experience in overcoming this situation so I dont have to do the 2 years under a builder or is it to bad for me.

I'm pretty pee'd off to say the least.

Brian

2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Sorry to hear if your dilemma.

Do you have any contacts with builders you have worked for as a carpenter that could vouch for you or do they want you to be employed by a builder for 2 years then grant your license.

Meteor likes this.
  3. Brian84

I know a fair few builders that would happily sign me off and write me a reference but now dft want to see proof of income as well as super payments and tax payments by the builder.

4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Thats totally ridiculous but not surprised at the gubment logic.

Brian84 likes this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

They want you to come in the office with your new cert 4 and cert 3 and trade docs plus evidence - which is whatever they say so you sayify them :) so you're legit and haven't just paid old mate to sign a form. If you've been paid means they were happy with you and you actually did some work! Pita but it's done running around on your part but atleast you know some con artist next in line at dft isn't getting a licence without the skills

albanga likes this.
  6. bob shovel

Sounds to like your 90% there! Just hook in and make some calls print some stuff and get it done!
    Last 10% takes 90%of the time:D that's some free business advice there for you ;)

Ps I'll be in syd in Nov have to meetup up with you

Brian84 likes this.
  7. Brian84

Sounds good. Happy to meet up with you. Missed out last time you were over here.

It still means I will have to do the 2 years won't it. Or can I just get a reference and take it in with the other docs and try my luck.

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

The whole system is a mess and a way for govt to grab money now.

I did multiple trades, I wanted to start doing some work in one trade again, I have to re apply for lic. (when I did them, you got your lic and that was it, you had it for life) anyway, so I start calling around, they said sure, you pay a fee each year now, which I did not like, but ok.....they then say, we need your TAFE documents, so I chase TAFE.... err sorry mate, we only keep records for 10 years.

I call back, the only solution they all want to offer is re doing the trade again, what a joke, of course that cannot be right, but everyone can't/won't do anything, so it goes in the too hard basket.

I will now have to apply to someone much higher, seeing I am not responsible for records, and multiple govt bodies looking after this have no records at all.

System is screwed, this is what too much govt does and accountant types just cutting everything.

Good luck, it is like banging your head on a wall, the wall usually wins.

Brian84 likes this.
  9. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Can you somehow do a 'tick and flick' in another state and then do RPL in NSW?

There is always a way around these things - you just have to find it.

pinkboy

Jess Peletier and Brian84 like this.
  10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Have a look at the legislation and see if they are correct.

Brian84 likes this.
  11. Brian84

I did think about doing that because in other states they don't require the 2 years experience as the cert iii and iv is enough.

12. Brian84

I did ring the dft and the lady said that I need to do the 2 years. I have done work for "builders" where I had to tell them what trade they need to book in next. I'm not surprised they are doing it like this now but it's just a pain and a headache when I can do the work and can prove it to them but it's still not enough.

13. bob shovel

You have done the two years work you just need evidence. I think they also want to know what you did they want to see a variety of work so include everything you did - kitchens, framing, slabs, form work, plumbing, tiling, roofing, etc etc you've probably touched on a lot of different things over the years so include a list

I spoke to them 2 months ago and that was my understanding of it all

Brian84 likes this.
  14. Brian84

Ok thanks. I will speak to them again and see exactly what they want. I have pretty much done all aspects of building.

15. bob shovel

As i understand that is what they want to know and see documented. An employer or contractor may need to sign stat dec too, wouldn't hurt

16. Brian84

Yea I can get people to sign a stat dec but I don't think they allow that anymore because toany people were doing the dodgey.

17. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Is she correct though?

hathro and Brian84 like this.
  18. bob shovel

But that may be why they also want the pay slips

19. Brian84

That's what I am going to question when I speak to them.

20. Brian84

Yea that's what I am thinking as well.