Problem with neighbours

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Angie44, 23rd Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angie44

Angie44 Member

Having problems with neighbours.

Neighbour 1, when I bought a plot of land adjacent to his house, said "what are you doing on my property!" Was v friendly etc but he seems to have made himself at home on this plot prior to my buying it.
    I planned to build but have had problems with this neighbour and another one.
    Neighbour 1 likes to throw food on my plot for the wildlife. I find pineapple skins, potatoes peels, bread, old cabbages etc the seagulls and crows are always circling!
    He happily walks his dog on my plot where it's excrement is left and I have to keep disposing of this as it is a big dog!! He tells me where I can build, spies on me when I have soil scientist, surveyor, trades people etc on the block and listens to our conversations. Recently he told me "don't waste your money building" and another time " you won't be able to sell your block".

Neighbour 2 takes photos of me through the hedge as well as spraying my plants with Roundup. He told me where he does not want me to build. He is less pleasant.

Now I am getting to the point where I don't want to stay and build and now wish to sell. Had REA over and afterwards neighbour 1 stride over and repeated that I will not be able to sell my plot.

Neighbour 1 saying I won't be able to sell. Is that a threat or do I just ignore?

Any feedback welcome.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Wow... clearly they like having extra yard at your expense. Talk about intimidation tactics and nasty neighbours.

If you don't want to live beside them, why not build and then sell. Or once they realise you are building, they might just settle down.

I don't know what you can do about the food scraps and dog crap being thrown around with wild abandon. I wonder if the local constabulary would take an interest? Probably not, but it might be worth a call. If the neighbours have the boys in blue knocking on their door and asking if they can stop this, perhaps they will take notice.

If police aren't interested, then I'm not sure what else you can do.

Rugrat, Bradley Peet and pinewood like this.
  3. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

MMM Angie, sounds to me like they want it for themselves!
    do you remember the old adage, good fences make good neighbours,
    as for the rubbish and spraying, a camera will document their activities....
    I hope this helps

Rugrat, Bon_E and Stoffo like this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Firstly, fences all around .......

Am assuming the developer put in side and rear fences, but if when measuring your block things don't add up a survey may be req'd.

As per @SeafordSunshine a camera (trail cam) may be the order of the day :p

I'd go to a few display centers and find the biggest ugliest two storey house I could, grab a few brochures and give them to the neighbors saying "this is what we've now decided to build, as we'd rather be inside than out" :cool:

You could also find a cheap manure supplier and have a cubic meter delivered to the middle of your block (for your veggie garden :rolleyes: ) the smell will be "pay back" and the shoe will be on the other foot :D (easily removed during site earthworks when building).

By the time you finish building and move in they should be used to the idea of actually having a neighbor ;)

Rugrat, pinewood, wylie and 2 others like this.
  5. wylie

I wondered about a camera but I suspect these neighbours will sabotage it. :(

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

190 degree field of vision, with IR/night mode, motion activated, battery back up, sim card with cloud storage, on a post near to rear of yard.

They can sneak up at night all they want, when the police knock on their door with questions about trespass and property damage :p

Propertunity, Rugrat and wylie like this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Which area of Victoria?

I think you should just ignore the neighbours. Nothing has really happened to warrant giving up your plans.

I don’t understand why you are even worried about the dog droppings. They will be buried when the site is leveled. And when the mesh fence goes up, the neighbours won’t have access...

Also, if it’s a vacant block, why have you got plants there?

I honestly think you might be over thinking the situation a bit. Just ignore them.

Last edited: 23rd Nov, 2020
    Propertunity, Buynow and Bradley Peet like this.
  8. pinewood

pinewood Well-Known Member

They're nosy bullies and doing all they can to deter you and worst is they know they can intimidate you. Since they will be your neighbours best not to make enemies, just take it all as a joke, continue being friendly but just don't buy into any of their tactics knowing exactly why they are doing it. Confront neighbour 1 and tell him to stop throwing rubbish and walking his dog on your land (he is trespassing). If he keeps doing it, tell him jokingly (but you mean it) you'll toss it back into his yard and do it if he does. Worth talking to your council as well to see if they have any suggestions.

Avoid discussions at ear reach when you have your surveyors, tradies come. Just play along with their games, might add some fun to your building a house experiences. @Stoffo 's idea is a good one about showing them plans for your home and scare them even more. They can't stop you, as you have every right to do whatever you want and they know that too but they're just trying to put you off, so ignore it. They don't want you to sell either because they know the next person will come in and build immediately not because you can't sell. If you keep good relations with them while ignoring their silliness, they may even warm up to you and they'll be happy it's you that's building and not someone else.

wylie and Stoffo like this.
  9. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

They sound like a pack of A-holes

1. Install fences around your property so that they know where the boundary is.
    2. Other than saying hello and goodbye, ignore having any in-depth conservation with them.
    3. Send them a letter from your solicitor about trespassing without your consent.
    4 Throw all the rubbish back onto their land, eventually they'll get the picture.

Propertunity likes this.
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I had a neighbour like yours once when i was a lot more easily intimidated. After a few years we sent them a letter from a local solicitor which really excited them, I mean antagonised them, but they settled quick smart. Karma:
    A few years later on the morning of what turned out to be their daughter's engagement party, my dog received his regular beef shank and I forgot all about the bone. The dog didnt eat all the meat off his bone that hot summer's day and by the time the party was in full swing, the still night air outside reeked of rotten meat.

luckyone and Antoni0 like this.
  11. 29349

29349 Well-Known Member

Play rolling stones
    Neighbours

Antoni0 likes this.
  12. Angie44

Angie44 Member

Yes love that song!!

I threw the dog poo into neighbour 2 and so he had a go at Neighbour 1!

I don't have a dog so go figure!!

I threw scraps back into neighbour 1! He wasn't too happy about it and when he asked me why I was throwing it into his garden I said "it's rightfully yours!"

Have tidied up and put on market.
    The only problem now is neighbour 2 has structures nailed to the dividing fence, a car port 4m long and a herb garden about 3m long and 4m wide. Will buyer make me remove it prior to sale it is it not my problem?

Antoni0 likes this.
  13. Angie44

Angie44 Member

Plants of mine on perimeter are roses being sprayed by neighbour 2.
    How close can I plant to dividing fence line?

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Part of me thinks also that life's too short and even after you build, do you want to be living next to these a******les? I don't know, its a tough one.

Getting the cops involved etc might eventually backfire and sour relations to a point where your blood pressure gets affected day in day out. I would so want to get back at them and take matters into my own hands but well, I can see why some people like moving out to the sticks and having no one around them.

Maybe just build a cheap house, move out and get the most feral tenants you can who pay on time.

Propertunity and Antoni0 like this.
  15. Angie44

Angie44 Member

Have put it on market.
    Snap decision.
    Life is short, want to enjoy it

Am over suburbia... Dreams of building which become nightmares and neighbours!

Going to get a campervan and become a brunette nomad hairdresser. When I get fed up of the neighbourhood, can just put my life into fourth gear!

Have already got a viewing of my empty block!
    Must I declare vendor disclosure of unpleasant neighbours?

SeafordSunshine and bmc like this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are the ‘structures in your side of the fence or the neighbour’s?

if the neighbour’s, then of course you don’t have to remove it. If your side then it’s really up to you.

17. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Tell the neighbours that since they are making you feel very unwelcome here, you are thinking about building a duplex / units instead and turning it into a rental.

If they already don't like the idea of neighbours, they will absolutely hate the idea of tenants for neighbours. ;)

18. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

good on you for making a quick decision and decision that suits your lifestyle and personality. You could always win (whatever outcome you wanted) but would require a lot of effort and potentially sink money into it (legal cost etc)

You have clearly decided it's not worth your time. Go hard or go home

19. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

even better tell them the site will be used to build social housing to help multiple people rebuild their lives after prison

craigc, Firefly99, Antoni0 and 3 others like this.
  20. wylie

Oh... I like this one the best. :p

Lacrim and Angel like this.