Private schools for kids, or invest the cash for the kids?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by mrdobalina, 20th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

We are doing both - our oldest boy goes to a private High School (not a very expensive one), and we also invest money into an online savings account on his behalf and have done since he turned 1 - not a lot of money, but it's a regular monthly payment, and he already has a few thousand in his investment account (he's now 13).

I reckon private Primary School is a waste of money, but if you can do a private High School, then do that.

2. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the school choices in your area. We have great public schools in our area - the public school does just as well (or slightly better) academically than the privates. I would never pay money for education given the quality in our public option. It would depend on your child too. I only have one in high school atm who is self motivated and is doing very well.

I know quite a few kids that go to the private schools and I'll just say I was glad their parents didn't send them to my daughter's school...

Good luck with your decision!

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That depends on the quality of the primary school. If the government school has good enthusiastically teachers then that's fine. But when the local teachers don't care much, or provide bad quality, look elsewhere. Primary school is where they get a lot of their attitudes to education. If they go into high school unenthusiastic due to teachers being the same then it's less likely they will do well whatever the school.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Interesting thread will be following.

It's been said a few times, but the area your in and schools available should be weighed up and cost factored in.

Also the child/ren will determine what schooling they require. So you could say the damage has already been done! It is very interesting

"In the first five years of life, your child’s brain develops more and faster than at any other time in his life. The early experiences your child has – the things he sees, hears, touches, smells and tastes – stimulate his brain, creating millions of connections. This is when foundations for learning, health and behaviour throughout life are laid down"

As a stay at home dad, when these kids are going nuts or don't sit still partly that's my doing and when our 3yr old tells my wife she bumped the fry pan and it was "bloody hot " its good to know I played a part!... I think.
    We need to work on a few areas, her cooking need improvement!

Danyool likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'm a product of government schools - although I was lucky enough to get into a selective entry school Yr9 onwards.

What was interesting for me was that when we got to Uni, there was just a huge mix of people who went to various private and public schools in my class.

One interesting culture at selective intake schools is how we do our best to beat the expensive private schools - I think we're driven to prove a point that government schools can get up and give those $40k a year joints a run for their money ;)

The Y-man

Foxdan and AndrewTDP like this.
  6. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Probably right.

We've sent two of ours to the local swamp Primary School so far, and we've found it excellent - there have been a few "past it" teachers of course, but I'd wager there are dead wood teachers in every school...wandering along, flying under the radar.

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

In our area, there's a very large number of ESL students. So a part of the quality problem around here is that a great deal of teachers' energy is directed at those who are struggling with language. Native English speakers tend to get left behind.

8. bob shovel

There is to much dead wood and to many institutionalised teachers out there! I think it begins at uni the "I know everything I'm a teacher" attitude! Teacher rant coming... You can pick a "teacher" a mile away in most cases, they're right all the time, they expect you to listen but won't do the same, struggle in the adult world..
    My favourite was my old boss ripping into the uni kids when they would email him at 9pm outside work hours with questions about stuff they should have done during the day! Poor time management skills and a blame on too much homework, I miss his rants and sticking it to the uni kids that "know everything "

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Melb high?

Or macrob ?:D:D

Last edited: 21st Sep, 2015
  10. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

If you want your kids to be brown tongues you only need to send them to a private school for year 12 and may be year 11, any longer than this is a waste of money. I went to both. For over all grounding and values I think the public school was better, As a parent of a student going to a public school you are responsible for deciding what sort of school it is, by setting the aims, policies, values and selecting teachers by volunteering to go on the school council. The kids I went to public school with excelled at university and many of the others are running buisinesses with millions of dollars turn over. I am surprised at how little some of the private school students achieved.

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Honour the Work. :)

The Y-man

12. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

And the work will honour you.

I went to Melbourne High and it was a great experience. My wife went to private schools, and she would prefer a private school. Its a big debate in our house. I'd love my boy to go to MHS or the local Nossal High. But if the kids didn't get into a good state school, then I would prefer a private school.

13. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

As a few have said, it depends on the local choices. If we had a great local govt high school, our kids would be going there. But we didn't, so they go to private schools.

Scott

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am sure we can all share stories of great/successful people from all walks of life that attended Public/Private school.

At the end of the day what you teach your children will have a far greater impact than any school they attend.

MTR:)

wylie, Esel, Wukong and 4 others like this.
  15. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. Getting a good teacher is a complete lottery. Our 7 yo does 3 hours of tutoring on Sat arvo. He learns more in that than the whole week in school, plus they study a year ahead.

16. bob shovel

Have you considered home schooling, distance educating if it's possible?

We're following a group in Facebook while we are moving around -travel Australia with kids. Heaps of parents have taken kids out of school for long periods (a year is a rough average) a lot do distance education to get the curriculum to follow. They seem to get the school work fine in roughly 3hrs at most each day! Plus learning "on the job", big difference compared to the inefficiencies of "normal school " doing 6hrs/day

17. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

Wow!

So many mhs students on here

im one too!!!!!!!

honour the work

rip ray willis

18. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I dont value the school system in Australia at all. Either public or private.

My brother went to private school from about year 9 from memory. It did him a lot of good and he started to enjoy school.
    My parents gave me the choice. School wasnt working for me, and I couldnt see an expensive private school changing that. I probably would have spend even more time in the principals office than I already was - what with all those rules, and uniforms and etc.
    I opted to leave school (I did end up returning to school and finishing year 12 through an ag college).

We both do ok.

To this day my brother continues to leverage (and value) the old boys connections he made. He knows 'everyone' and cant walk down the street without stopping for a conversation.
    These same connections would hold little value for me, and as such I probably would have lost them along the way in any case.

As others have said its probably as much up to the individual child as it is the school.

Blacky

19. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I would probably send my kids to private school as i believe their is less chance they'll hang around dead beats and scum bags. Not saying they're all angels in private schools but less of a chance it occurring.

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@el caballo

For us it's a case of yes and yes.

From month one we were disciplined enough to put away $100/month. At each birthday it increases by $100/month.

The balance gets healthy quickly. (If you like put it in an insurance bond - tax freeafter 10 years.

Yes we are also investing for their future.

The debate rages as to whether one or the other system is better - we had Public for the formative years but the cracks and shortfalls soon become apparent. Have switched to private and there's a world of difference.

At post grad level there's no difference in progression of private vs publicly educated. The old school tie does open doors whether that private school or selective.