Health & Family Private health insurance

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by febstyle, 21st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Are you sure CTP will cover that Ferrari?

CTP Insurance In Victoria - Compare The Market

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For me, I agree with a lot of what you say. However, for a family that uses physio, plays sport etc, it is cheaper to pay the extras cover rather than no cover and pay it all out of our pocket. As our kids leave home and take our their own cover, I assess the cover. When we don't get value for our extras cover, I will consider dropping that.

Everyone can look at what they actually need and spend and make a call.

Travel insurance... I'm about to take out cover and I won't be worried about lost luggage. I just care about needing to get home should something happen overseas and one of us needs hospitalisation and or repatriation home.

Contents insurance... $50K won't get you too far if your house burns down and you have to buy everything at once. But contents cover is cheap.

3. wylie

You've quoted me for your case in point. I think you may misunderstand. If we paid out of pocket for our extras, that we need and use (glasses, physio, chiro), we would pay MORE than it costs us to pay the premium and the gap (if any gap is paid). It is cheaper for me to pay the premium.

Of course, without the premium, we would likely not get glasses and not use physio, but that is fairly shortsighted (pardon the pun).

4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Well whatever coverage that's needed for that. You get my point:) basically I care more about their car than mine.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the prompt to check my health care cover - and reduce my extras cover as don't need (and won't need) pregnancy, gastric and major dental ... sadly voluntary hip and knee gets lumped in with this lot, but we're still young and can upgrade back to hip and knee in 10 years.

Upped the excess to $500 for hospital admission and saving ourselves $100/month ... for those on Bupa ... I did a comparison and their charge is around $80/mth higher than Aust Unity for the same cover, refund and excess

EN710 likes this.
  6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Ah yes you're right sorry I misread your post!

7. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

Private health insurance. What a stupid concept. I have it purely for tax purposes and no other reason. The thing I don't understand is this:

A year ago I was at a friends BBQ drinking and dove into the pool. Me being the fool I am bashed my face on the bottom and split my chin, lip and broke my nose. After a few hours to sober up, got my missus to take me to the emergency department to get stitched up and the inevitable question came "Do you have private health insurance?" to which I replied "No" and I didn't have to pay a cent for the work that was performed on me (only an hours worth anyway). Now IF I had of said YES, than I would have had to pay.

I'm sorry but that is ridiculous in my opinion considering I fork out close to $800 a year just to have stupid health insurance to avoid the levy.

8. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

I hurt myself too much not to have it. Luckily/unluckily however the last time was at work which resulted in an ambulance ride, and a 4 day $12k bed stay in the burns unit plus emergency surgery etc etc on top of that. All under workcover

9. wylie

This thread has prompted me to call one of the comparison sites. He has just confirmed that the CBHS cover I have cannot be beaten by any of the other funds. So I'll stick with it and pay a year in advance this week to lock in the cheaper rate.

10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

If your car or house get 'sick' then there is no coverage (unless you manage to get media coverage and a public appeal for cash). If your body gets sick there is the public health care system. So some people weigh up paying more for prompter, perhaps, better service or paying nothing and getting standard care (still very high by world standards).

Due to the medicare surcharge levy it's cheaper for a lot of people to have insurance even if they don't want it.

11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Incorrect.
    If you had said yes, the public hospital would have charged your health fund for your care. They cover the excess, such that you are not out of pocket a cent.
    So, "being the fool" as you described, you just needlessly took money out of the public health purse that could have been saved and perhaps used elsewhere.

Ted Varrick, Terry_w, Wukong and 2 others like this.
  12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

and the xs is mostly covered in travel insurance

13. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

I have no issue if people are not insured (whether its health, travel, property, car whatever) so long as they make no claim on anyone else to be recompensed when you have an issue.

14. wylie

Or like one I know, choose not to admit to having it and use her (dubious) charm to weasel her way to the top of the queue. I've seen her in action. Squeaky wheel. Some other needy person is pushed down the line due to her whining and "just do it to shut her up" attitude of some of the poor receptionists she has worked on to get pushed up the line. Others have stood up to her tactics and she's had to wait in line or use her cover.

Chilliblue likes this.
  15. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

As I said I have the insurance purely for tax purposes with basic cover and a large excess. So from my understanding if I had of said yes, the public hospital would have charged my health fund and then my health fund would have passed on the excess to me as its my first time in hospital for the year. Have I got this completely wrong or am I right in my train of thought?

16. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Initially I had it for the surcharge, I used to think it was pointless and I never used it, didn't update my glasses every year because mine are just fine, never went to the dentist, never found a use for it.

In the last 3 years it has been an absolute god send for my wife and I. I wish neither of us had ever needed it but when we did, it was there.

17. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Can I ask who you use use to get it for $100 per month? We are with HFC, couple (40 & 44), no kids, no heth issues, none-smokers and our hospital only cover is $411 per month, and about to go up to $450+ from next month.

18. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

What kind of cover do you have?
    Sounds like you'd need to shop around? NIB, BUPA, etc has cheaper plan it seems

upload_2016-3-22_14-33-23.png

19. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

We pay $340 per month, im 40, wife is 35, both were listed as smokers when we were underwritten (although have since stopped). No kids. It would appear that this price is good considering privatehealth.gov.au listed the cheapest as: $486.58 per month

20. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Agreed, but the numbers work out well now.
    If me and my wife didn't have private health insurance, we would be forking very close to what we pay for private health insurance.

The few extra dollars covers our ambulance fee and also the ability to go in as a private patient. What is making money if you then suffer in pain while you wait. No thanks.

Now with children, I happily pay knowing that if I did have to use it, I could, but like @Dan Donoghue has said, insurance is one of those things you "hope" go to "waste".

Damn right. Being able to pay get what you need done asap is totally worth it!
    My wife's uncle had some issue detected in their brain. They were given a choice of waiting in public (estimated at 6 months - no guarantees) or paying $30k and getting it done now. They have 3 kids under age 15. They waited and got the free surgery - I personally wouldn't want to take the gamble - $30k is trivial in the scheme of things.

My dental is free and i still don't go. :p

Dan Donoghue and Sackie like this.