VIC Price discount for a Weatherboard house

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by James Baker, 2nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. James Baker

James Baker Well-Known Member

what should be the discount for a Weatherboard house as compared to a Brick home if everything is equal

Have to submit a bid for a 3 bedroom house in Preston, which is about 30 -35 years old made with Weatherboard
    The house has been reasonably maintained from the looks of it, but have not got a builders report done

Cheers

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Depends on area. There are plenty of places where you will pay a premium for weatherboard.

3. James Baker

I am talking about Preston, Melbourne

Is it not correct that Weatherboard houses are much more costlier to maintain then brick houses ?

Cheers

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. Missed that you put in a suburb. I'm guessing Preston is full of brick then?

5. James Baker

Preston is an old suburb, so tends to have a fair amount of Weatherboard houses

As I have not lived in Melbourne, no ideas about any of the suburbs

Have recently moved here

Cheers

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would say no discount in this market! Unless it is really unattractive or in bad condition - and even then...may make little difference.

It is also much easier to renovate weatherboard. Cut a window here, a door there. Easy to diy...

7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

It does cost a lot more to maintain due to regular painting. However, they can be better for sound proofing and well insulated in the cold. If it's only 30 - 40 years old, I am not sure a discount would be appropriate, maybe 5k?

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There are some beautiful (new, reno and unrenovated) timber clad homes (the recent Elsterwick The Block being an example) and some appalling brick homes. The neighbourhood character, street appeal and specific properties and their specific condition will all affect what the expected price is.

The market price for that specific property and its condition will determine whether you can drop a offer or you need to increase it. You can always raise a offer but reducing it may be a problem. Unrenovated it may also have defects that are not evident without a P&B inspection which may be further argument for a price concession v's the vendor expectation.

wylie likes this.